Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Raise for Mothers


So after reading my friend's blog and seeing how she is basically a single parent with her husband gone I got to thinking... Stay at home mom's: Difficult job. Thankless job. No breaks.


In a professional world you get rewarded and praised through monetary raises and promotions. Mom's don't get that positive feedback enough...and we need it! No where else that I know of is there as much guilt, as much sacrifice, and as much love. And it is the one place (that I can think of) where there isn't a strong "you're doing a great job, here's a raise" type thing.


Yes, of course you get rewarded because you get to be a mother. How wonderful is that?! What an honor, really. It is sacred. A privilege. The greatest. Words fail to describe, really.


So mothers: today I give you a raise. Sorry, because of budget, it is only $20 (I figured perhaps you could all scrounge up this amount). But what can you do with it? Go see a movie. Go to dessert with a girlfriend (girl talk is so therapeutic!). Go buy bubble bath-- $20 is enough for Crabtree & Evelyn. You deserve it! You did such a great job today. Your child/children is/are healthy and happy and feel(s) loved. Way to go! You are such a team player. Thank you. You are doing our company proud. If we had a star chart, I would give you a gold star to put up by your name.

4 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

It's about time we mom's got a raise. Thanks! I think $20 gets me a pedicure... my favorite indulgence. And now I have a good excuse. "Honey, I got a raise!"

Shumway's said...

Kim,
You are right! I love this post. I gave myself a raise today and went and got jewelry I wanted. It was 21.50 and I have no guilt! Ha. I miss you guys so much. I need you to go out for starbucks *hot chololate* for girl talk. The chics here are all really nice, but the Seattle ladies rock! I give up, I want to come home(to seattle). Maybe you could come to us? Call me sometime! Love ya.

jennycooks said...

I needed that 20$! Although I probably have exceeded my raise purely in chocolate. Thanks friend! It is amazing how much the support of your 'girls' can lift your dragging heart! Love ya!

32 Flavors said...

Um, yeah I went and bought $20 of chocolate at Costco today.