Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chocolate Mint Cheescake

I really am not a huge cheesecake lover, but I am a moderate cheesecake liker, and definitely a cheesecake baker. This recipe comes from Cooking Pleasures magazine April/May 2004 issue.

I love chocolate and I love mint. Their marriage satisfies my need for smooth, creamy chocolate and leaves my breath minty fresh. Also Chocolate-Mint Cheesecake is a perfect Valentine's Day treat as it enables lots of carefree kissing.


Chocolate-Mint Cheesecake
Crust
1 (9-oz.) box chocolate cookie crumbs, or 2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Filling
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract

Glaze
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Wrap bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan with wide heavy-duty foil. In medium bowl, stir together cookie crumbs and melted butter until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press evenly into bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until set; cool on wire rack.

2. Place 6 oz. chopped chocolate in medium heatproof bowl; place over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not let bowl touch water). Stir frequently until chocolate is smooth and melted; remove bowl from saucepan.

3. In large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar at low speed until smooth. Beat in flour. Beat in 2 of the eggs just until combined; repeat with remaining 2 eggs. Scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in sour cream and vanilla just until blended.

4. Reserve 2 cups batter in another medium bowl; stir in 1 teaspoon peppermint extract.

5. Stir melted chocolate into batter in large bowl until completely blended; pour into crust. Place pan in large shallow roasting or broiler pan. Fill with enough hot tap water to come halfway up sides of springform pan.

6. Bake 35 minutes. Carefully slide out oven rack several inches. Pour reserved peppermint batter evenly over cheesecake. Bake 26 minutes or until edges are puffed and top is dry to the touch. Center should move slightly when pan is tapped but should not ripple as if liquid. Remove cake from water bath; remove foil. Place on wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.

7. Meanwhile, place 6 oz. finely chopped chocolate in another large bowl. Place cream, 2 tablespoons butter and corn syrup in heavy medium saucepan; heat over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until hot (temperature will be about 190 degrees F.). Remove saucepan from heat as soon as first bubble appears; pour over chocolate. Let stand 1 minute to soften; stir until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract. Cool to room temperature about 1 hour. Pour glaze over cooled cheesecake in pan, spreading evenly over top; refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving. (Cheesecake can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Store in refrigerator.

Makes 12 servings.


Note: I will not be baking this for this Valentine's Day. I will be serving strawberries, some dipped in chocolate and others to be dipped into whipped cream. mmmm.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

So That gym guy is a complete MORON. Did you at least make eye contact and shake your head and roll your eyes in disbelief?! You should have at least let out an audible sigh of perturbence. (by the way that is not a word apparently) And as for the Cheesecake...You insensitive devil! You know I can't have chocolate. I tried to have it 2 days ago because I had convinced myself that it really does nothing to bother Marcus and it was my imagination....A LOT of Gas drops later and a lot of clingy fussy boy...lesson learned...Sorry Marcus. The strawberries do sound tantalizing though. Yes Strawberry Shortcake will be my dessert de jour for St. Valentine's Day.

Rachel said...

PS I think Marcus is allergic to gripe water cause Everytime I try to give it to him it induces him to vomit. poor guy. guess we will just still to the gas drops.

Rachel said...

oops I meant 'stick' not still

Dan said...

This cheesecake sounds really good! I think I'll give it a try.

Lefty said...

Dessert de jour....mmm, sounds good. :)