
This morning as I was getting ready for church, my five year old was in her room playing with her dollhouse and Maddie, my three year old started crying after some argument and then came into my room.
"When awe we taking Annayise to kinderga'ten?"
"Today is Sunday, we are going to church very soon."
"And then we take hew (her without "r") to kinderga'ten?"
"No, she doesn't have school until tomorrow."
"Tomoddow! ...Then I can pyay wif hew dollhouse." Then Madeline left the room, contented with plans for solitary play the next day.
I was the youngest of four children. My oldest sister is nine years my senior and as for my two brothers, one is three years older and the other just twenty months older. They were at school and I was left waiting for my turn to start going to school. I remember spending days in my brothers' room with their Castle of Greyskull and the Ewok Village when they were gone.
Also, a great deal of energy was exhausted looking for a round blue tin with a rainbow on top that belonged to my sister. She offered hard candy to me once out of the tin and after experiencing my own "Turkish Delight" I searched high and low thereafter when she was out of her room.
One day, and the day my quest for the rainbow tin ended, my Grandma Helen was watching the four of us. Grandma, Heidi and "the boys", as they were always called, were upstairs either watching a movie or playing a game. I snuck off downstairs to my sister's room and thought for sure I found it on the top of her dresser.
I pulled out the drawers one by one, creating a staircase for myself. When I finally was about to the top...I fell backwards with the dresser on top of me. I don't remember being hurt. I do remember Grandma, the boys, and especially Heidi looking down on me from the door frame within seconds. After explaining my quest for the rainbow tin, Heidi said, "Kimberlee, there's no more candy there. That has been empty for a long time."
She wasn't mad. I was not only embarrassed, but utterly defeated with no candy to satiate my longing sugar tooth.
Madeline is going to have so much fun tomoddow! The mind of a three year always promises adventure.
1 comment:
I, too, know what it's like to be the younger sister! Maddie is so cute! I wish she liked me. She told me that last time I saw her that she didn't like me. But I still love you, Madeline!!
Post a Comment