Thursday, April 2, 2009

Indian Masala

I love Indian Food. I'd marry it if I wasn't already madly in love with my Geoff and married to him, as well.

I can't remember the magazine, but it was a holiday issue and the section was giving out ideas for food gifts you can make for people. It published this Indian spice mix they call, Indian Masala. For a gift they suggest using a small clear glass container and layering the spices for aesthetic appeal.

Every once in a while I measure out the ingredients, blend them and then store in a spice container. This recipe lasts me two to four dinners. As of now, I've only ever combined this mix with cream of mushroom or chicken soup and a little water or milk. I grill chicken first, then add the sauce.

I need to pick up some coconut milk and maybe plain yogurt and play around with those for our next meal. I'd like to get away from using those (salty, fatty and preserving) condensed soups as a base for sauces. If you have any other suggestions, I would love hearing. Also, I would love some Indian food recipes.

Indian Masala

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon ground coriander

1 tablespoon ground cumin

3/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1 comment:

Carrot Jello said...

I love Indian, but would prefer to marry Greek food instead.