Thursday, April 16, 2009

All-Bran Muffins

Sorry, no picture. If I really cared, I would bake or cook something on Wednesday, take a picture of it, and then post the recipe and picture on Thursday. As it is, I think, "oh, it's Thursday: I need to post a recipe", then look through my cookbooks and decide on something. And yes, I'm doing this recipe posting for myself. You (most likely) are not counting down the days, hours, minutes until Thursdays, for my recipes. At least, I hope not. But still, I want to post these recipes.

This recipe comes from my college days. Wow, I'm going to start saying things like, "when I was back in school..." from now on, aren't I? I'll be 30 in June. Then I'll start saying things like, "when I was in my twenties..."

The beauty of this recipe is that you can make up this batter and store it in your fridge for up to six weeks. If you want some fresh muffins in the morning, you just put some (not as fresh) batter in the muffin tin and twenty minutes later: fresh and hot muffins.

1 1/2 cups 100% bran (I use Grape Nuts)
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup flour
1 egg
1 1/4 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk

Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over the bran; let set until liquid absorbs. Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and beat. Add buttermilk to soaked bran. Mix flour, soda and salt. Add to all bran mixture. Stir until blended and bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven, in muffin tins.

Use what you need; put unused or extra batter in refrigerator and it keeps well for six weeks. Use as needed but do not stir the batter after it is put in refrigerator. Just spoon into muffin tins as you use it.

No comments: