Other words that come to mind when looking at this quilt are loud, obnoxious, fun, colorful, loud...oh, did I already say loud?
Truth is, I don't know how I feel about it. Mom bought this charm pack for me when she was down in Utah last year. I adore the charm pack. I think it's called Squeezable or something like that. I've played with the squares for months now not knowing what to do with them.
I noticed a few months ago that Pacific Fabrics in Northgate had some of the fabrics from the pack. On Monday I went over there and found only three fabrics left. I also found a baby blanket pattern and then needed to find some background for the windmills in the blanket. The only color I could find that was in the same family was yellow. I also needed to make the blanket bigger because I wanted it as a lap blanket. I haven't made anything for me since before Annalise was born, so I figured it was about time.
I cut the fabric and pinned the windmills on Monday. Yesterday I sewed the top quilt all together.
It doesn't bother me if you don't like it and you tell me so; it really won't hurt my feelings. It's a gut thing we all have and we differ from each other. I like the pattern, but I conclude that the quilt is loud. Too loud, really. I'm used to subtle colors in monochromatic schemes, or two or three colors, at most. Often I'll go with a predetermined collection of fabric. I'm not very gutsy.
This was a good practice for me in doing something different. I suppose there are people out there who will love this bright quilt. After all, some people paint their walls super bright colors. My eyes and brain need calming things, that's all. In my home you will find neutrals with a pop of color every once in a while. My favorite color is green. Then blue and red.
I'll definitely do this pattern again. It was very fun doing the windmills.
This isn't the finished product, obviously. It needs to be quilted (I'm not sure exactly how yet), one inch buttons need to go in the center of the windmills (orange, green, red?), and it needs binding. I made the bias tape binding last night (I have a bias tape maker and love it!!) in the stripe fabric. I wish I went last year when they had more of this collection. I'm not sure exactly what I would have done differently...maybe used more green to tone it down a notch...
8 comments:
I know that you have a color palette in your head, so this was a big leap for you.Congratulations!
I think the quilt is very fun, a real summer-kind of quilt for year-round enjoyment. I especially like the sliced rounds of lemons and oranges. A soft green backing (but somewhat bright--I have a color palette in my head too!)might tone down what you call "loud"? You're amazing!
I have to say a loud (pun intended) Amen, sister! on that comment from carol. (aka Mommy)
I really like the quilt, and I applaud you for taking a leap out of your comfort zone and making a quilt that is so loud for you normally. You'll find that on a grey, rainy day like today maybe you'll enjoy cozying up in a cheerful, summery-style quilt.
Good job gf!
I believe I was there when your mother picked out that fabric. I LOVE it. It's such a fun quilt! Do you remember when we tied a quilt during Conference once? Every time I read your blog I'm reminded of something back in Rexburg. Maybe I should stop remembering things. It makes me sad. But, I do love your quilt! Good job. You should make me one, too! ;-) {oh, by the way, Macie just discovered the quilt you made for Noah when he was born. It has squares of that REALLY REALLY soft fabric in yellow and light blues. But, she LOVES it, she carries it around everywhere because it's "so soft, Momma, feel it!" So, we thank you again, 4 years later!!}
OooOOoH! I LOVE it! But then again, I like bright colors. My favorite pair of pants are fluorescent yellow, and my favorite color to decorate my home with is orange. But, honestly, I don't think I would call it loud- I've seen much louder quilts. I think I would call it whimsical and colorful. Great job. If we have a girl, I want to find a quilt similar to this for the crib- I love all of the fun colors.
i love this quilt, it's soooo fun!
I didn't realize you quilted! I'm currently working on a 3 year quilt (back off, it's my first) with pinwheels. Being a perfectionist its been difficult accepting that sewing isn't a perfect medium and that I'm not very good at getting the points to line up. I'm so impressed with your points, and quite frankly your speed. I'm inspired to keep plugging away, thanks!
I love the quilt! It's only slightly loud. JK. I actually love the summerbrights so I think it's perfect. And it looks amazing! I've never tried a pinwheel quilt before. Is it hard to do? It looks fun- but I can't believe you sewed the whole top in one day. Good job!
I am so impressed! Can I come over for a lesson?
Post a Comment