Monday, September 22, 2008

The difference between boy and girls

Warning: This post contains the actual words of our sexual anatomy, since I don't believe in giving silly words to one of our greatest and sacred body parts. I also don't believe in putting shame in this most sacred function. ...Though I do believe in blogging about my three year old's conversations regarding it!!! HA!

Madeline and I have been having the most interesting conversation.

M: Do girls have peanuts?

K: Do you mean penises?

M: Yes.

K: No, girls have vaginas (the actual plural of vagina is vaginae, for your info).

M: Do boys have vaginas?

K: No, boys have penises. Girls have vaginas and boys have penises.

M: Why?

K: Because that is how Heavenly Father created us.

M: My doggy has a penis. (holding her pink, stuffed animal by the tail.)

K: No, that is a tail.

M: No, it's a penis.

K: No, that is the tail of the dog.

M: Why doesn't my doggy have a penis?

K: Because toy companies don't put penises on stuffed animals.

M: I'm pretending this is a penis and it is a boy doggy.

I did follow up with (because I can just see her asking my boss or the man at the grocery store if they have penises...) "you only talk about this with mommy" and then having to explain that people like to be modest and not talk about their private parts. And then making sure that she understands she can always ask mommy questions or talk to me about these matters.

3 comments:

32 Flavors said...

Thank you for being yet another responsible parent who teaches their children the correct terminology for their bodies. My dad used the word pecker when we were kids! Ack! I get sick just writing the word.

Rachel said...

We have many conversations like that at our house...I knew I couldn't shower with Morgan any more when he was 3 and asked as we were showering, "Where's your penis, Mom?"

Just last night Jacksen was asking about how pee comes out of the penis and what purpose his testicles held. (which btw, 2 nights ago, Micah got after Morgan for calling his testicles "balls" and "nuts" which the neighbor kids call them--Micah told him it's crude and not correct. I'm so glad My husband and I are on the same page there) I just told Jacksen that Testicles were part of your penis on the inside...I thought that was enough for now. He's a little young to be talking about sperm :)

Lefty said...

Yes...I don't think I used the word "sperm" with Annalise when she asked me the unavoidable question of "How does the baby get inside the belly?" I believe I used the words, "seed" and "egg"... I don't think it was wimping out to say seed, since I really don't have a problem saying sperm. I just thought it would help Annalise understand better.

By the way, Jen, AKA "32 Flavors" and Rachel, I believe that if you two were in the same ward, you might be best friends. ...And then where would I fit in?...Maybe the two of you would occasionally invite me over...pity invite. I'm getting sulky just imagining this geographically unlikely event. :)