Friday, October 31, 2008

Photo Tag

Warning: I talk about labor and delivery. Nothing too disgusting. But then again, my degree is in Health Science so I can talk about anything during dinner and not get grossed out.


The second post of the day...so read below if you haven't already seen my previous post.



I was just reading my sister-in-law's blog and saw her photo tag. Like her, I'm not going to tag anybody except to challenge that if you haven't already done it, go to the fifth folder in your pictures and blog about the fifth picture in that folder.



Mine happens to be a motion picture, or as some people call it, a video. Madeline's birth day. Okay...so it isn't the sixth in the folder...the fifth was a discreet (but still not for public view) birthing of sweet plump Madeline. I'm a pretty natural person, but I don't ever want to see a picture or video of a baby coming out of me! No thank you! The video that, by rules, should be shown just shows my legs, Geoff, and the doctor. When Maddie is placed in my arms, you only see a tiny hand. So anyway, you aren't missing much anyway. But just for dignity's sake, I'm not posting that on my blog!





So: The Tale of the Tape.

Annalise was only seven pounds, one ounce. We actually were a little surprised that she was that little since Geoff was 9 1/2 pounds and I was 8 lbs. 14 oz..

With my pregnancy (sorry Grandpa, for using that word!) with Madeline, I gained less weight though at the end, was the most uncomfortable. She liked to hang out on the right side of my body and for the last month, I would wake up at night with spasms on my left hip, aching my sciatica. Geoff would actually wake me up because I would be crying and moaning in my sleep. Also interesting is that my blood sugar on the glucose test was 50. I got nervous when the nurse came to talk to me about my results. I thought, "oh great...gestational diabetes.." But that was not the case. ...Looking back, I think Madeline sucked all the sugar from me and used it for the fat stores in her thighs.



At the doctors office, we guessed that Madeline was bigger than Annalise by one pound. That was my guess...



I begged the doctors for the last month for a induction. They were able to induce me one week early.



With Annalise I labored for 45 hours. Pushed for 2 1/2.



With Madeline, I started out with my water broken, pitocin, and a lovely epidural. The epidural made my skin itchy, so the nurse injected something into my IV that knocked me in and out of consciousness. In the afternoon the nurse checked me and I wasn't ready...she cathed me and within twenty minutes I was ready!! From a 5 to a 10 in that short time. The pressure was immense, but the pain, nothing. (Have I ever posted on how much I adore whomever created the epidural?)



The delivery was easy. Three contractions. Eight pushes. The epidural was perfect. I could feel all the pressure that helped me deliver her. It felt good to push. I remember asking the doctor if I could keep pushing and when he said to go ahead I was so grateful. After she came, I could walk just fine and didn't have any problems that some women worry about with the epidural.



Madeline came out and she was very plump. VERY. Rolls on her thighs and arms. Plenty of shoulder and back fat. SO CUTE.

What a blessing to be a mother. Really. I am grateful that my body has been able to bring two children, so far, into the world.

And for my children, each daughter so unique and each personality so STRONG! We love our girls. Annalise last night at dinner said that she wished I would have another baby.

...Hopefully next year, sometime after we move, I can make a great announcement. And then in another year, I can post a video like this, but for lucky #3!

1 comment:

jennycooks said...

I love this post! Cracks me right up! Bailey and Jake were both about the same size - only 4 oz difference, but when Carter 'rolled' into the world, we got a big surprise. He was a pound and a half bigger than the first two, and as soon as they held him up we all started laughing at how big he looked! Gotta love new-borns with rolls! She is so cute!