Thursday, October 23, 2008

Abrahamic Test

Abraham waited a long time for his promised Isaac. He loved Isaac. The Lord commanded that he sacrifice this son. Abraham was willing to give his beloved Isaac to the Lord. He didn't end up doing this, but was pushed to the very point of ending this precious life.

In this trial, Abraham learned that he would do anything for the Lord. I also love this story not only for Abraham's obedience, but for the parallel between Abraham and Isaac and that of our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

The Lord doesn't test us because He wants to know what we can or will do, but so that we know what we can or will do.

So we have these trials like Abraham, obviously not literal sacrifice of our loved ones, but of sacrifice and faith and consecration and humility. So in my trials: what do I give up? what is my sacrifice?

I sacrifice my fear for trust, that my Father in heaven knows my needs more than I do.

I sacrifice my despair for hope. Faith that when I put my trust and hope in the Lord, it won't be trampled upon if my wants aren't met. But that my heart will grow in understanding. And my will, will become His.

I sacrifice my desire for an easy life, for consecration of my life to God.

I am such a child in my discipleship. Sometimes I despair and need to be lifted into understanding. Though each year, I increase my gratitude for the trials I've been allowed to have. I see those around me grow closer to each other and closer to God as they endure their trials well.


(picture above: Uncle Matt true to form, teasing Madeline almost two years ago.)

Recently, my brother Matthew, 32, suffered a TIA. A TIA is a stroke, but a short one. Since the various testing the doctors found two aneurysms in his brain which will need to be surgically removed. On Monday he will have a cerebral angiogram to determine the severity of the stroke and aneurysms. He is doing well in the meantime, taking blood thinners to treat the current problem with his vertebral artery and prevent further complications. My thoughts, heart and prayers are with him and his sweet wife and children.

Times like this give us the opportunity to become better discliples, trusting in the Lord and increasing our faith in prayer, fasting and our Father's Plan.

6 comments:

Calley said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Your family is in our prayers. And I appreciate your words of wisdom, as I needed to hear them today. Hope you're doing alright...

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

I hope everything goes well with your brother!

An Ordinary Mom said...

"The Lord doesn't test us because He wants to know what we can or will do, but so that we know what we can or will do." I love the way you phrased that.

I hope things go well with your brother. Keep us posted!

RORYJEAN said...

Well said... I needed to hear that. I will keep your brother and his fam in my prayers!

Talia said...

I know trials are to strengthen us and teach us, but it can be so hard to submit your will to the Lord's sometimes. At least that's what I found out when we went through seizures with Evan. I hope everything turns out well for your brother and I'll keep his family in my prayers. What I've discovered is that all you can do is trust that the Lord has a plan for everything, whatever that may be, and you just have to have hope and faith that you can be strong enough to submit to His plan. Thanks for your thoughtful remarks. They helped me too!

jennycooks said...

Holy crap! I don't read any blogs for a week and I miss all the info! I can't believe this! I hope the best for Matt and your family. I really hope the best for you all.
love ya.