Monday, October 20, 2008

Stuck between Tolstoy and a computer

I'm reading War and Peace. Still.

It used to be that I would fly through a book in a few days.

I've been reading Tolstoy for months! I knew it would take longer to read this book, but come on! Speed up and focus, girl!

I took a break through the beginning of the book and read the Twilight series. But that was only ten days max of interruption. Chocolate truffle, smooth, creamy, easy, thrilling interruption.

I just don't read like I used to. I blog now. I facebook now. Damn you ladies with your addicting blogs! Damn me for being self involved and needing a creative outlet.

I might read for fifteen minutes. Or steal time with an hour long bath whilst reading and not want to get out because the story is so great even though the water is cold.
I find the more stressful life is, the more I read.
Though I also find, the more migraine headaches I get, the less I can read. But those days are few a week and most I can read through.

Through school I would read ALL the time! Unfortunately, it was to distract me from the scientific textbooks I was suppose to be reading. Naughty girl.

So back to this Tolstoy dilemma...I'm finding myself craving an easy read like Harry Potter (and I'm feeling the void since I usually read through all those books once a year for fun) but I'm disciplining myself to finish War and Peace before going on to anything else. Besides, the story is good now. Reading this book, I find that people don't change much with their personalities, affections, desires, weaknesses and evil that tempts us all, even two hundred years later.

I had a dream last night that I met a girl and two boys and they were from Russia or Ukraine or somewhere over "there" and I was trying to pronounce his name and couldn't. I even had him spell his name for me, but there were only two vowels in a ten consonant name... Pretty sure it's because I'm reading a book with several Russian names. The names don't trip me up so much since I'm not reading them aloud...everything is pronounced right in my head!

Also, the reasoning in my head is always dead on, too!

As are my ideas with what is right and wrong in this world...Yup. I'm always right

...in my head, at least.

9 comments:

32 Flavors said...

I so feel your pain. I have had books that go on forever and take me months to read. I'm on a reading break right now. I haven't been able to pick anything up since finishing the Twilight series....

RORYJEAN said...

I'm impressed. reading war and peace is like the literary world's equivalent of climbing Everest. Well done!!!

Talia said...

I love reading too. Only problem is that nothing gets done around my house until I finish what I'm reading! I swore off reading after reading the first book in the Twilight series. I read nonstop until I finished it. And now I have yet to read the rest of the sequels. But I will. I should probably just wait until my kids are older so they don't go without the basic necessities, like food and water...... ;)

Talia said...

Good luck finishing War & Peace by the way!

Rachel said...

I think that is impressive even trying to read war and peace. You got me on that one. and I'm with Talia, If I get into a good book (like the twilight series) Nothing gets done around the house until it's done. Trying to plow through Tolstoy is like how I feel when I'm trying to read self help books :) They just seem boring...so I pick them up and put them down on and off til I drudge my way through them. Usually I stick to books that are so thin I can finish them in one day/afternoon or books that I've read over and over and still love but know the story well enough that I can put it down easily. (Mainly Pride and Prejudice or other Austin books now I have also been rereading the twilight books---yummy:) Anyway better get something done and step away from the computer...it's just so tempting when Marcus is sleeping and both of my other boys are @ school...but alas, I will have to go pick them up soon. Good luck with your Tolstoy and your high intellect and your perfect interpretation of the world and literature in your head :)

Rachel said...

PS. I appreciate you not gobbling up my little Marcus :) It was very considerate of you! (Wouldn't you Love a delicious little baby boy)

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

Ok...War and Peace. Just skip the last 100 or so pages. Seriously. It get's so boring with all the strategy. Just skim and be done. Move on to Anna Karinina.

By the way, I love the book section of your blog!

Lefty said...

Rachel--perhaps only you and i can read that "wouldn't you LOVE to have a delicious baby boy" sentence and hear Martha's voice saying it!! Good times together.

Calamity Jane said...

Kim, try Anna Karrenna for your tolstoy fix, way more entertaining! I loved that book while War and peace is still just another unfinished book on my to do list. That way you can say you read Tolstoy and then move on to Roots. I loved that book by the way.