Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful: Day 18

While I am not quite as...intense as this guy:



today I would like to say that I am thankful for J.K. Rowling.

I love her imagination. I am thankful that she loves to write. And more precisely, I am thankful she wrote the story of Harry Potter.

Written for children, the Harry Potter series has also captured the minds and hearts of adults. I think I was twenty-four or so when I started reading the books. Book five had just come out and I read all five books in about two-and-a-half weeks. I couldn't put them down, even if I should have been studying Human Physiology or Gerontology or whatever classes I was taking in college at the time.

I am also thankful that movies were made from these books, even if they come nowhere near how great the books are, leaving out parts that I love and feel are important to the plot. But that is just how it goes, right? Our minds and imaginations create stories better than Hollywood will ever be able to touch.

Tonight Geoff and I are going with some good friends to the midnight release.
So late for me.
But I am so excited.

3 comments:

Julie Weiss said...

I love the Harry Potter books, too! I am grateful that they decided to break up the last book into 2 films so that they don't cut too much from the book. :) Julie (Thompson) Weiss.

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the movie! Midnight is way late for me too but I love that you are going. Wish we could go with you.

Lefty said...

Julie: breaking up the movie into two parts was wise. The movie was much more close to the book than any other movie. Finally! I hope you enjoy it.

Stephanie: That would have been so much fun! When are you coming our way next?