Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful: Day 23

Today I am thankful for four-wheel drive. SO thankful!

I know everybody in Seattle is either whining or celebrating the storm. What do you guys have, like three inches now? To be fair, in Seattle when there is 1/2 inch of snow it quickly compacts into ice and with all the hills, it can be quite dangerous to drive. Especially when most are not used to driving in the snow and ice. Frankly, it is more scary to drive with those who are unfamiliar with those driving conditions than driving in those conditions. Some of my friends spent hours, and I mean hours, getting home from work last night.

Here in Rexburg it is just as bad. Well, worse really. But for Rexburg, it is bad. And that is bad! School was actually cancelled yesterday and today. Rexburg has known harsh winters and still, school doesn't get cancelled often. I know they do cancel school when it is 20 below.

My daughters play outside for recess though--in brutal snow. My oldest was talking casually last week about "the warm corner" of the playground. Doesn't that make your heart a little sad? I send the girls to school fully outfitted in boots, snow bib, warm jacket, hats, mittens and scarf. It still is so cold.

So as I write this, in the evening hours, it is 14 degrees F, winds from 21mph to 31mph, with the wind chill factor at -4 degrees. Brrr. Tomorrow it will be colder. Colder.

So I had to go to the grocery store today. Had to. We needed ingredients for Thanksgiving and salt for our walk and driveway. And I knew tomorrow would be worse. So the girlfriends and I braved the winds together. And our Toyota Sequoia. So grateful for that car!

I still drove no faster than 20 mph. Just because you have four-wheel drive doesn't mean you can drive normal. We got to the store fine. I warned the girls that as soon as they opened their door the wind would start throwing snow into their faces. I got out quickly so I could help them out of the car and attempt to protect them from other vehicles. We were fine.

We bought our groceries (hardly a soul out today--so a very quiet store!) and drove home. On the way home I was driving against the wind. White in front of me. I could see but it was as if there was a fog of snow. We drove home and Geoff came home one minute after we did. He came for the car. Good timing. He slid and fish-tailed home. I did no such thing. So thankful for a great car in The Icy Berg.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hehe...you just make me smile. Yes, our three inches of snow has made conditions over here quite nasty. Really it is the wind and cold that has caused much of the problems but yes you and I both know the pacific northwest just doesn't respond well to these storms. It must be bad in the burg if school is canceled. I can so relate to you sending your girls to school dressed so warmly and still being cold. I always felt bad sending my students out to recess in Rigby. Not to mention they spent half of it getting their snow gear on. I am still wanting to know how you liked the Harry Potter movie!

Lefty said...

I love this one! Love. It is so close to the book (as if the screenwriter finally figured out that Rowling knows how to write plot and lines!) and the acting is getting better as they age and gain experience. And the CG was great with the house elves. It was a set-up movie, so in and of itself, not much action. But the camping is over now (!) and they did a great job getting ready for the finale. So excited for next summer!