
I can run 30 minutes. Boo. Yah.
Three or four months ago I would have thought: You want me to run how long? Are you insane? Why are you punishing me? What did I do to you?
Now I think: yeah, I can run thirty minutes. I am not just physically able to do it, but mentally. That is the most important part.
I haven't run a 5k yet. I will. Someday. There was a 5k Turkey Run or whatever they called it in the large town just south of mine. But it is cold. I don't think it got above 4 degrees that day. No thanks.
I would do it in the Spring, as I am sure there is some 5k around here that I could do then, but I don't think I'll be up to it then. Maybe I will. But maybe I won't. I get very fatigued when I am expecting a baby.
So to keep from getting bored and to continue progressing, I have started the program over.
I know what you are saying: what? that isn't progressing.
And I say: oh, but it is!
You see, at week nine, the last week of the program that has you running 30 minutes, I had trouble increasing my speed. Plus I was getting bored.
So I decided to start over, increasing my speed. Progressing on my own terms, is still progression. I am listening to my body, making deals with it, and this is the deal I came up with, and it agreed.
I think that at this speed, perhaps I could go faster than some speed-walkers. Today I completed Week One, Day Three. It felt good. No, great. And I like running faster (well, it helps that I only have to run a minute at a time, then get a 90-second break of walking in between!), it feels more smooth, fluid, if that makes sense.
I just hope I can stick with it. Week nine, if I progress steadily without getting sick (this is a major hurdle to me as I have a hard time getting back on the wagon after missing a few days or a week) is just at the end of my first trimester. So my balance won't be knocked off yet by a big belly. If I can push through the fatigue of pregnancy, then I will be able to do what I wasn't able to do in the first two pregnancies.
All I want to do is nap, you see. So telling my body that it actually should strap on running shoes and hit the treadmill, when it really just wants to sleep, or at the most, watch a movie, is difficult. But I did it today. I waited for the nausea to go away, but I did it.
Migraines have made me tougher though. I learned to exercise through nauseating pain, so I think I may be able to run through nausea and exhaustion, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment