Saturday, March 28, 2009

Where did the week go?

It's Saturday.

I didn't post a recipe on Thursday. I'm sorry...

I wish I could give you (both of you, who might care) a note from my mama. I don't have one. Perhaps I could just forge a note. It worked for me in high school. Actually, it worked for my mom, as well. She didn't mind. One time while shopping with my mom, she left me at the counter, in line, with her card. While she was gone the lady scanned our items and then just as my mom was returning, I was signing her name. She saw it and was quite impressed with the likeness. She even stated that it was better than her signature.

I've been trying to eat healthier. Nutrient dense, leaner, lighter..all those things.

This recipe is not all those things. Though it may help your pocket book (a common need) if you're craving some Olive Garden.

This recipe is taken from the book, A Treasury of Top Secret Recipes, by Todd Wilbur. I purchased the book at Costco and have had some fun with it. The author takes favorite restaurant recipes and recreates them from home, as close as possible to the recipe.

Here is Olive Garden Toscano Soup:

2- 3/4 cups chicken stock or broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 medium russet potato
2 cups chopped kale
1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage, grilled or sauteed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Combine Stock and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Add grilled and sliced (1/2 inch thick) sausage to soup.
Slice the unpeeled potato in 1/4 inch slices, then quarter the slices and add them to soup.

Add the kale.

Add the spices and let the soup simmer for about one hour. Stir occasionally.

Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 as an entree.

Hope you likey.

1 comment:

Talia said...

Olive Garden is my favorite restaurant and I LOVE this soup!! Can't wait to try the recipe and see how close I can get it to the original. Thanks Kimberlee!