I'm going to mix this post up (I know, I live dangerously, "mixing it up" and all) with my daughters' favorites. Maybe it will take you back to childhood...enjoying the simple things in life.
Tickling
They adore being tickled. What is it about growing up that makes this activity less enjoyable? Well, don't get me wrong, I love tickling, but rarely enjoy being tickled. Occasionally Geoff and I get in to a (very short) tickling match which ends with Geoff holding both of my hands in one of his hands, making me totally immovable and asking me if I'm through. He really doesn't like being tickled. I only like it a little. But the girls can't get enough. There is a breaking point for them at which they say, "uncle", and we stop. Maybe I don't like it as much because I distinctly remember being pinned down by my siblings and even my mother, and being tortured with tickling. I know, rough childhood, huh?
The Car Wash

My daughters love this two minute amusement ride of the gigantic, soapy mops washing our car.
I still remember Madeline's first time through it. I think Annalise was at preschool or something because it was just the two of us in the car. Madeline was all at once startled, scared, fascinated and completely amused. When the "ride" was over, and our car was being dried off by the good man at the end, she asked to go through again.
Of course, I love it, too. In one end with a dirty car and out the other end with a shiny one. Magical.
Bathroom Humor/Potty Talk
I always thought I had a relatively good sense of bathroom humor because I was raised with boys. But my girls think anything linked to the bathroom is hilarious. And of course, what is a three year old without some potty talk? When she's telling a joke it always ends up with either "b.m." or "poo" in the punch line and our quick "Hey now!" to curtail her joke before it escalates.
I probably should add that we don't say, "poo" or "poop" in our home. We use the term, "b.m.", and my brother (although this is what I grew up calling it) makes fun of me for this. Though it comes in handy when your child can be a little more discreet in public. Maddie knows that this word (poo) is a bit taboo, and so likes to use this word the most. She's so racy!

Central Market
This large grocery store is just north of us about 60 blocks. Not only do they have a nice bulk section and any hippie products you would like, but they have a tortilla lady there making up fresh tortillas. And most impressive they have what I like to call a mini-aquarium, but what the store would just call a crab tank. The girls get excited (just as they would at the aquarium) to see these aquatic animals in the middle of the grocery store. Though I don't use it, they have a mini-food court attached to the side, as well.
Can of Whipped CreamLast, but certainly not least, is the can of whipped cream.
I have to defend my domestic skills by prefacing this by saying that I do make fresh from scratch whipped cream on the holidays for pies, and sometimes during the year for fruit.
But really, not a lot of class in our home: we go straight from the fridge to the mouth in a nice, easy squirt.
It's one of my youngest child's favorite things, by far.
And I'll admit that I don't turn my nose to it, either.
2 comments:
Favorites: potty talk, car washes, acquarium, whipping cream. Diversity is a wonderful thing! You sure write fun blogs!
i LOVE central market.
Post a Comment