Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Playing with Purple

I'm making Madeline a quilt for her upcoming fourth birthday. She loved the last quilt I made, with the windmills, so I'm using that idea again, but making it bigger. I'll have 24 blocks total, 4 across and 6 down. Then I'll add borders and all that to make it as close to a twin size as possible.

I'm at the tricky part. I cut all the five inch squares out and am now playing with the pattern. I have lighter fabric for the background, and darker fabric for the windmills. With the dark fabric, I've ironed the squares into triangles, and then folded them over to make smaller triangles and then ironed.




Last night I layed it out on the floor two ways:
With the same fabric making background blocks:


Then with varied squares making the background block:

I like this (above) varied block pattern better. It makes my eyes dance with pleasure.
I still have to figure out what to do with the triangles that make up the windmills.
I think the solid purple is too dark.
I can't figure out if I should:
a. buy more solid purple and only do that strong solid color contrast,
b. buy more patterned dark purple and replace the solid purple,
or
c. make some kind of pattern, keeping what I've got and making it work.

I'll probably make a decision tonight. If you have imput (even if I don't know you, or know that you read this blog, anyway (my lovely lurkers)), please leave a comment.
Ooh--did you love my double parenthesis in the last sentence?

5 comments:

The Woody's Fam said...

I love it. I wish I was as talented as you. I think (if my opinion matters, which my lack of talent probably disqualifies me automatically or should) you should work with what you have. I don't think you need anything more. The second picture is really coming together and I think it looks beautiful! Are you going to add buttons on the windmills like last time? I think once you add the finishing touches to the windmills you'll like it even more. To my eye it looks amazing!!!

Holly said...

This looks really good! I personally like the darker purple and would buy a little more of that. But then I like things to match and be even. I'm odd like that.

Lucy van Pelt said...

I definitely like your choice on the mixed up squares. Would it work to use all one color of purple for a single pinwheel? Then have different pinwheels? This will be so fun. I really like the orange one too.

Talia said...

I LOVE the second design. I've always wanted to make a pinwheel quilt but it looks complicated. I didn't know you folded the triangled over- I thought it was just a single layer of fabric. I'll have to try it sometime. I love the contrast of the dark purple, but agree it needs more. Not that it matters, :) but I think you should go for buying some patterned dark purple, either enough to replace what you currently have, or do half solid, half patterned. It looks great though!! Makes me want to head to Joanns! You'll have to post the finished product for sure.

Lefty said...

I think I'm going to go with the solid dark contrast for all of them. Off to the store to purchase a yard, then cut up, iron....and find I don't like it.... :) It's all about experimentation and hopefully I find what I like, sew it, and still find that it is what I want.