Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's hard to be...a princess.

Early on in our courtship, when my mom didn't know what to make of Geoff yet, a situation arose and made everything clear.

My mom had asked me to do some random chore (that apparently I didn't like) and I complained first but then went and did it. Right after I left, Geoff looked at my mom and explained, "It's hard to be Kimberlee: it's hard to be a princess." Right then my mom knew Geoff was a good match for me as he understood me so very well.

So have things changed so much? Probably with my attitude problem with my mother, but life in general? No. Not really. I like to delegate.

A year or so ago, Mom was with me in the car when I needed to stop at Schuck's and get new wiper blades for my car. She stayed in the car with my little girls as I went in and then, a few minutes later, came out with a gentleman who worked there. He put the blades in while I thanked him and got back into the car.

Mom was very surprised (and delighted) that I didn't have to put them on myself. "I bet you charm a lot of people into doing things for you", she said.

Today was no different. I went into Schucks, told the gentleman working there my car model and year, he went and found me my right rear brake light bulb and my wiper blades, rang me up and then it happened....

I'm about to tell you my secret in how I "charm" people into doing things for me....

get ready....

are you ready?

okay:

I said, "Is there somebody available to install the wiper blades for me?" I know. Daring. Manipulative. So charming. But here is the lesson: manners, followed by asserting yourself and just asking, will get you far.

Do you want to know what he said? Okay, I'll give that up, too: "Sure. I can do that for you."

Some stores still have very good customer service skills. I might have asked him to install my brake light for me, but I really want to play with that myself. Because I asked, I didn't have to fiddle out in the rain trying to figure it out (it looked very easy, by the way) and he knew exactly what he was doing. We chit-chatted about the rain and Seattle's manic weather, I thanked him, got in the car and rode off with my new wiper blades.

And unlike times previous, before my mom suggested that it wasn't the norm to have them do it for you, today I felt like I was getting away with something. All because I have a little secret in getting people to do little things for me...

6 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

I don't want you to think it's *not* because you're a princess, but I think Schuck's does have a policy about helping people. Last time I bought wiper blades, the guy asked me if I'd like help with them before I asked. I love that!

I also believe very strongly in good manners and asserting yourself. It's amazing what you can get with just that.

RORYJEAN said...

Sometimes all you have to do is ask. But I bet they are happy to help someone who is charming and polite and appreciative.

carol said...

After ready LVP's and RJ's responses, I must interject here to prove your point, Kim. I'll give you that Schuck's has a good customer service policy. But Dunn Lumber? No, those guys sit on their stools, stare at you as you enter the store, then send someone to get the 2x4. They calculate what you owe, you pay, you leave with your 2x4. Period. But Kim? The guy on the stool gets OFF his stool, cuts the 2x4 (or whatever) into the correct lengths, carries it out to the car. Then it's discovered that the daughter's carseat belt is jammed by a nickel. Two Dunn Lumber guys and one weather-beaten general contractor who has just pulled into the parking lot with his dirty rig are helping Kim with that carseat belt. All smiles, all happy. "Thanks so much, you're so kind to help me, Sir." Charm, smiles and manners go a looooong way! It's a better world. Thanks, Kim!

carol said...

p.s. I didn't mention that it was raining in that Dunn Lumber parking lot, which proves the point even better!

Lefty said...

I do like people to do things for me, and that might be because I'm a princess. I don't think I receive their help because I'm charming or anything, but because I ask. That's all. That was my point.

Holly said...

You sound just like my mother! She was always telling me that it never hurts to ask, all they can do is say no...and more than likely they will say yes!