
"I have what the doctors call, 'a little bit of a weight problem.'"
I have many reasons and even some pretty sad excuses. (At a time like this, you can't really say something like, "My dog ate my..."...because if my dog had eaten something, if in fact I had a dog, well then that would be less for me to eat and all the better...)
My deep-rooted weight problem is my love of food. I don't really want to change that, either.
In the Doctrine and Covenants (59:18-20) it teaches:
"Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;
Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul.
And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion."
"Please the eye"
"Gladden the heart"
"for taste and for smell"
"strengthen the body"
"enliven the soul"
"And it pleaseth God.."
These are all very positive things. It doesn't include anywhere that there should be guilt or remorse.
It does, however, end with the condition, "with judgment, not to excess", and this is the part that I am practicing.
I used to say, when presented with a treat, "oh, okay, it's not all the time." But:
Monday is Family Home Evening and there are treats.
Wednesday is Young Women's and there are treats (though we're bringing in more veggies).
Friday is Family Movie Night, and there are treats.
Saturday is errand day and family together time, and often, there are treats.
Sunday...well, often there are treats. (Especially handed out by the diabetic men at church...ironically. Like the anorexics that like to watch their friends eat..)
Wow. Looks like it's only on Tuesday and Thursdays when I'm not presented or presenting some type of extra caloric, often non-nutrient dense food.
I'm learning to say, "No, thank you", and just drink some more water.
I've also dropped five more pounds.
and by the way...for some reason the formatting isn't allowing for spacing on this text. i've tried and tried to put spaces between paragraphs or sentences..but it isn't working!!
3 comments:
Most excellent advice.
(Though don't tell my children FHE is supposed to have treats at the end :) !!)
Excellent advice. I need to work on the moderation aspect of treats also. I ate an entire bag of reisens in the car recently- and when I realized I had consumed an entire day's worth of calories in five minutes, I was shocked at how EASY it was to do. It's hard to say no to treats, but hopefully I won't gain 50 pounds again this pregnancy- It's totally worth skipping a few sugary indulgences.
I can't stop laughing at the diabetic candy pushers at church! That is so funny!
Post a Comment