Thursday, March 12, 2009

Insincere Apologies but Moving Forward

It is sad that HBO is showing something that so many hold sacred. It is sad that the viewer has no context, therefore it will be so very strange to them and most likely mocked.

When I was young I was taught that when you say you're sorry you change your behavior to prove it. HBO apologized but is not changing their course of action.

Still, Come What May.

Brother Nibley said it very well when he said:

“Even though everyone may discover what goes on in the temple, and many have already revealed it, the important thing is that I do not reveal these things; they must remain sacred to me. I must preserve a zone of sanctity which cannot be violated whether or not anyone else in the room has the remotest idea what the situation really is . . . . No matter what happens, it will, then, always remain secret: only I know exactly the weight and force of the covenants I have made--I and the Lord with whom I have made them--unless I choose to reveal them. If I do not, then they are secret and sacred no matter what others may say or do. Anyone who would reveal these things has not understood them, and therefore that person has not given them away. You cannot reveal what you do not know!” ~ Hugh Nibley, Temple & Cosmos, pg. 64

I'm adding to this post today, March 13th, a video distributed by the church in response to these current events.

4 comments:

carol said...

Good blog! Yes, we'll become refined in our faith because of the opposition (in all things, it must needs be). Being the only LDS person in my entire high school, I prized my faith and felt sorry for any ignoramiouses that mocked me. So it continues in bigger ways as the truth rolls forth, now the Church is a major force, which brings us back to opposition. The opposite of the Restored Church is who?

The Woody's Fam said...

Thanks for this post!!! First, I am impressed that you quoted Hugh Nibley. Most people have no clue who the man is. My father in-law was very close to him and he holds a special place in the heart of our family. 2nd, your conviction for the gospel testifies to me that Satan will always try to make a mockery of the things Heavenly Father has deemed holy. This is the course of life so we only have to be concerned with our own actions. We must make sure we keep our covenants and keep sacred things sacred. I found comfort in the statement the church posted about the HBO situation: http://newsroom.lds.org:80/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma.

What HBO does will not stop the progression of the GOSPEL. Which testifies even more that GOD lives and truly rules.

jennycooks said...

My favorite thing to remember is that one day every knee shall bow, every tongue shall confess...
It is so sad to see sacred and Holy things mocked; I really liked that quote from Hugh Nibley - it surely puts this in perspective.

Holly said...

I love that. Thank you for posting it.