Injured my back somehow a few months back.
Hurt so bad a few weeks ago that I couldn't sleep. So much that I ended up taking a percocet (we have some stashed from previous prescriptions, since we never use them) to be able to sleep.
Because I don't think that is a good coping strategy (unless I've just had surgery or something, and need it for extreme pain to cope for a day or two after) I saw my doctor. I asked her to prescribe me both physical and massage therapy. She did.
Had Physical Therapy on Wednesday. The therapist gave me some exercises to do. I've been doing them.
Went to Massage Therapy today. The therapist tapped on the top of my head and listened to my organs.
"Hold up there. Now just a minute prone-girl: what did you just write? Did I read that correctly?", you ask.
"Read the last thing I wrote and see for yourself", I reply. (Did you just reread it?)
I've had many massages. I love them. They hurt. Sometimes I breathe deeply to just get through them. But I thank the therapist for going so deep into my tissues. Then I drink a lot of water.
Today I was expecting a nice naked, on my tummy, mascara smearing massage.
She was somewhere between a massage therapist, a physical therapist and a faith healer, I think. I just don't know what to make of it. She seems intelligent. She's been practicing a long time. She came recommended.
Did I feel some relief after the massage (or whatever it was)? Yes, I did. The pain centralized to my spine and let off a bit. I was able to bend backwards more than I had after the head tapping and organ listening. Of course, she did finish with a five or so minute back rub in the area that needed it.
It was just so different.
4 comments:
For the record, I'm totally NOT into way out there stuff, but I have to tell you that it's worked for me. I think the "listening" is a little wierd. I've had both a physical therapist and a massage therapist "listen" to my body to figure out what needed help. As kooky as I thought it was, it worked -- and worked miraculously in one case. I don't know what they do, but it seems to be effective. Weird, huh?
Isn't there a Bavarian polka dance that goes, "Dis is my head, dis is my knee, now dis is my toe tapping, knee slapping, head bonking....." No? Oh Kim, if she sells ointments and oils, run! I DO know there is such a thing as "bowel tones"--that's polite for "gas" I think! OK, I'm just having fun, but her methods should be explained scientifically, don't you think? Stay well on your quest.
I'm totally going to tap on my head before my nap.
Just as long as you don't get into that crap Kimberley. SERIOUSLY. Slippery slope my friend. Slippery slope. Satan can mock healing too.
Geoff said just as long as I don't start wearing magnets I'll be fine... ;)
Post a Comment