I don't mind roundabouts. They're great, even. They are proven to reduce collisions by 40%, and reduce injuries by 80% and serious injuries by 90% (a study in the United States, comparing the roundabouts to the intersections they replaced).
So what am I whining about? Oh, didn't you feel a whine coming on? Sorry, I don't mean to blindside you, but sometimes the whine comes out on the table and here it is before you.
The drivers who don't use the roundabouts drive me just a little bananas. (I really wanted to throw that phrase in there...drive me...bananas...mmm, bananas.)
Here is a diagram I found on wikipedia, under Roundabouts. This is how a left turn is made with a roundabout.The driver wanting to make a left turn, drives around (hence, roundabout) the circle in a counterclockwise direction.
Just in the past week, the following thing has happened twice: a driver wanting to make a left turn, cuts clockwise, avoiding the circle and makes a left. When the car should have yielded just a bit to me (me being on his right and having a severe case of her-royal-itis), said car gets in my way, forcing me to stop and wait for him to turn. It's not such a problem when the driver is the only driver in the universe. Unfortunately, we all have to cooperate to drive safely and in a timely manner.
I guess what I'm trying to say is this: understand roundabouts, obey the logical flow of traffic, be courteous and stay out of my way!!! um...please...
1 comment:
Amen! And while they are learning those techniques, they might as well remember that if you are already in the roundabout and you are properly turning left, the other incoming straight going cars who are not yet in the roundabout need to yield ... thanks :) !!
Post a Comment