In one month, I will be the proud mother of a kindergartner. No, this doesn't quite make me a grown-up (I need a mortgage, a minivan, and one family vacation under my belt before I consider this title...) but man is that Annalise growing up!!
She is so thoughtful and helpful. She still is difficult: opinionated, verbal, hot-headed...but that will help her out when she is older if I can just help her use those for good. She wants to be a veterinarian for horses and dogs; but I think she would be a good lawyer. She is starting to make good arguments and validate her actions and desires through discussion. She talks to me frankly about how she feels about my style of discipline--even though it doesn't always get what she wants--but helps her understand consequence.
She and Madeline are starting to play really well together. They play "gymnastics" (where Madeline is the teacher) and "swimming" (where Annalise is the teacher) in the living room. The couch is often used in ways forbidden, when I'm out of the room. I try to go easy on them since there isn't always the opportunity to go to the park and we have no back yard. They answer the door when "the children" (their invisible students) arrive in our home. The other day I heard Madeline apologizing to them for the mess...
Annalise took a three week ballet course this summer; she loved it. With full day kindergarten I'm not sure if ballet will be good. Yes, I'm putting her in all day; she needs the structure and stimulation though I do worry about it being too much. Half day will not be enough for her; I observed this during half day preschool and feel she is ready. There is a 3/4 option that I can fall back on if the full day doesn't work. We will just wait and see...
But back on ballet, I am thinking of signing her up for it for the school year but don't want to overwhelm her with that and all day school. Though ballet would only be one hour a week... Any suggestions from the "grown-up" moms?
2 comments:
wow! Can't believe she is so grown up. Morgan did all day Kindergarten in AL and did fine. And he doesn't seem quite as mature as Annalise @ that age. She will probably love it. Although Madeline will probably miss having a play companion as Jacksen did. He also did soccer during that time and seemed to do fine. It is ultimately up to you and how she handles it. Since girls tend to have a much longer attention span than boys at that age she will probably love it.
Kim,
Well, I am not really a grown up mom, but I do remember when I was in kindergarden that there was not a 1/2 or 3/4th day option. I had to start all day kindergarden at 5 and it was 8-3pm and I did great. I think the key is make them do what they have to do (School) beacuse it is better in the long run (she is a smart girl and will love the learning. Then, we just let them do the fun stuff as they want to. I think they are happy that way. Good Luck! Love ya!
-SArah
Post a Comment