Friday, August 8, 2008

weight woes

So last spring (2007) I finally started losing weight, two pounds a week, after several months (about six or so) of religiously exercising. Fifteen pounds came off over a few months span and I was feeling great, seeing all my hard work pay off.

Then vertigo. Migraines. Vertigo. Vomiting. Migraines. Dizzy spells, exhaustion and even depression. I had to stop exercising; even doing dishes exasperated everything.

The medications I was put on plus my lack of exercise (and let's be honest, my migraine comfort food, rice pudding) put all that weight back on. Not at first. Actually I was thrilled for several months that I didn't put it back on. I had a medication change in January and I think that is about when it started packing on. Funny, the seizure drug I was on was suppose to make me have no appetite...if there is a chance that there will be a weight change, it is always weight gain. I'm so ready for a famine!!

Some great news!: I was able to start exercising again this spring. I took it slow first and I have definetely struggled through work outs having migraines. Emotionally, I have gotten tougher. One time I was lifting weights with my left field of vision gone and going numb on my left side...I finally decided to stop the work out because I had to drive home and with the girls. But the princess in me is being locked up in a tower. I'm even forcing myself to run. I hate running; but after I see how long an interval was (before i felt like my aorta was going to jump out my throat!) I am smiling on the treadmill.

Have I seen a change in the scales? Yes...but a gain of five more pounds... My trainer (yes I'm fancy and had a trainer for a while) measured me and I've lost a percentage of fat... ....big whoopty-doo.

So some other great news!!! I felt so great losing those fifteen pounds last year that I get to do it again!! I will feel even better because I gained five more pounds!! That is more feeling great to have.

So there is always a good way to look at it, right?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You go girl! your edging on domestic diva status, banana bread and Jam in one day...I've never done that and now with the workouts and all, that is pure D.D. for sure...She's a maniac,Maniac on the floor and she's dancin like she's never danced before.... :)

BTW, your days are so much different than mine (apart from potty talk---there is always room for potty talk no matter which gender it is still funny for some reason)... Morgan just came in from playing outside to tell me that, "My Boss just told me I had to do a Motorcycle race. Three laps, so..." Of course, his motorcycle is his two wheeled, non motorized, foot pedaled bicycle :) One of the best investments we ever made. :) Although Morgan told me also this morning that his bike was dumb now and he needed a new cool one. Ugh, since when did bikes become cool and dumb...a bike is a bike.