
We picked seven pounds of raspberries last week. Now we have to do something with all that berry goodness.
Tonight I took four cups of those berries (I have three bags of that portion left in the freezer...) and made freezer jam for the first time in my life. I'm not going to lie...it is grainy. The sugar didn't dissolve all the way.
What did I do wrong? I read the directions and followed them.
I'd like to try the canning method...need to buy a canner though.
I wish I paid attention back in the day when I helped my mom and her mom can peaches and pears.
The jam tastes good...just very grainy. Crunchy peanut butter. Maybe that will help my tongue and teeth not think about the crunch from the sugar-not-dissolved jam. mmmm....jam.
I'd like to try the canning method...need to buy a canner though.
I wish I paid attention back in the day when I helped my mom and her mom can peaches and pears.
The jam tastes good...just very grainy. Crunchy peanut butter. Maybe that will help my tongue and teeth not think about the crunch from the sugar-not-dissolved jam. mmmm....jam.
5 comments:
You don't need a canner to can Jam...this is what I do...I put the jars in the dishwasher ahead of time so that they are hot and then you hot pack them (put the boiling jam straight into them) Have your lids boiling so they are warm and the rubber will seal easily, then after you put the lids on you just flip the jars upside down till they cool. It seals them---My mom and I used to do the processing method, until I made Jam with Ellen Chase and she showed me that method...much faster and easier. Unbeknownst to me my sister had also been doing this method with her Jams. You cannot however do it with your fruits and veggies those DO need to be processed in a canner. Go you! you canning DIVA!
The first time I made freezer jam, we were living in Donegal Bay...I was pregnant with Noah, and it was hot pink and very grainy. I went upstairs to Adam, just sobbing because I ruined the jam! It was traumatizing! But the next time I made it, it was perfect! I love freezer jam. Can I come eat it??
Oh...I was going to ask, can I put your last name on my blog roll thing? Or just your first?
Lindsay, You can put both my first and last name, I don't mind...though can people google your account and stalk me through it?....because you know, there are people out there that have that much time to stalk me...but seriously, just in case... only people who know you can stalk me. you hang with the right crowd... Idaho people and Comic Book people
At least it still tastes good! I don't have a "canner" but I have canned peaches, salsa and jam. I just use a large pot of boiling water with a lid. It works just fine and I just follow the directions for how long to process based on the altitude you live in. The cans seal and I have had the salsa on the shelf for a year and it was just great when we ate it! I've only made freezer jam with strawberries- maybe it works better?
Post a Comment