Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My First Batch...good batch

I DID IT!

In a previous post I mentioned my (sugar- crunchy) raspberry freezer jam. Then mentioned I think I'd try it the old fashioned way with a canner when I could buy one.

Well my fancy feathered feline friends...my girlfriend Rachel Budge commented on the post to pour the boiling jam right into the dishwasher-warmed jars, put freshly boiled lids on, screw on the cap and flip upside down.

I was a little skeptical this morning that I would turn it over and find the lid would push up and down (a sign that it didn't seal) but that sucker is on!

And I tasted a bit of jam in the pan after I poured it and it was divine. I think I will open up one of MY jams (I know--I'm domestically proud this morning of my new skill!) and try it.

Strawberry [Jam] Forever! ...you know, the Beatles song...you don't? when were you born?

Also last night I made banana bread. Geoff was about to throw out the nasty bananas because apparently there were flies. I begged him not to in my efforts to not waste them and I made bread last night. Yummy.

I'm going to defrost the raspberries we picked and make a batch of jam that hopefully will not be crunchy with crystals!!

2 comments:

Dallass said...

Hi, you commented on my blog wondering about the "hot jam" method. The air is totally fine! It won't go bad. I know some people get freaked out by canning, but it's totally safe. Every once in a while you have a failed seal, I stick those ones in the fridge to be used immediately (its hard to wait isn't it!?) Other times a seal will fail in storage, this is less common and usually due to an error in processing-and you'll KNOW the seal failed if open a jar that's been in storage for a while! Hope this helps!! (P.S. I've never tried the upside-down seal trick. I'll remember that one!

Dallass said...

Hello again. I use the hot jam method, but I boil my jars (instead of using the dishwasher) so they are hot, pour in the boiling liquid, and then set the boiled lids/rings. It sounds like the only difference is that you flip your jars, I don't. Sounds like either way works!