Forrest Gump, that is. I keep forcing my body to do more running on the treadmill and my body, my wonderfully strong body, is responding with the ability to do it. It is such a mind thing, because truly I hate running. Last week I was thrilled with the three minutes interval that I did during my workout on Friday. Today, my goal was to at least meet that three minute time for one interval. I got to that three minute mark and forced another fifteen seconds only to find myself easily doing it. I was very pleased with the ease that it was, so I forced myself to four minutes and when I got there I gave another fifteen seconds. I know I could have kept going to five minutes but I stopped. Mental blocking, I assume. This week, by the end of the week I think I'll be doing five.
I can only get one long interval right now; the rest are somewhere between one and two and a half minutes intervals, two minutes being the popular interval.
I'm overweight, yes. I don't have the body I had at nineteen (looking back: I was hot!) but with the endurance and strength activities I push on my body at the gym, I realize how amazing my body is. I am so grateful for it. My legs are strong and I can run on them. My abdominal muscles and upper back muscles allow me to have great posture now. This helps so much with my migraines (it's been over a month, now).
Yesterday I was crossing the street to go home and I ran, just because I could. Last week the girls and I were on the side walk on the way home and I started running to initiate a race. I so badly want to be an active mom, and teach my girls by example that our bodies are important, and to take good care of them.
I would have never even think of myself doing even a half-marathon. Now...well, maybe some day I will...even though I truly hate running. Though, look where it has brought me.
5 comments:
I haven't ran since...since...um...I don't remember the last time I ran.
You know, maybe if I knew how to spell your last name, we could "connect" and "confirm" eachother "as friends" on facebook. ;)
Just click the link to my facebook profile on my blog post.
BTW, who was it that knew me in your ward?
Wow, good job. I hate running too- unless I am in shape. I started running a few months ago and did it religously for a while, and it was amazing how great I felt and how fast I improved. Now I am back to eating icecream and sitting on my bum. You've inspired me- maybe tomorrow I will start it up again.
Yeah, I absolutely loathe running too, but I am sure grateful that I can do it when I decide to. I actually have fallen in love with swimming myself. I go 3-5 miles a week and really love it. I actually love to go and look forward to it each day. Keep up the work on the running and maybe try a few other things to see if you can find something you love. Spinning & swimming are both pretty fun & super, super effective. P.S. (I put a pic of Jake and Maddie on my site. I think you have it but if you dont, let me know and I will send them to you. I have a few) -Sarah
i have seen this phenomena! Go team!
David is part of what makes this all happen. He watches and plays with the girls at the gym whilst I try to get sweaty enough to gross out my daughters and all around me. Not only am I super sweaty (that three inch ring around the neck always impresses me) but I am without make up or my hair done. Nice.
Post a Comment