Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Soul Patch...

has got to be the ugliest thing to be slapped on to a man's face.

Every time I see one, I want to grasp it between my index finger's proximal phalanx and my thumb's distal phalanx and yank it off. I believe it would be one of the most honorable services my phalanges could perform, really.

I don't mind a nicely trimmed goatee. Or a nicely trimmed beard for that matter. A mustache...well you have to be old enough and have the right face and have it well groomed and all that to pull it off.

Unless you're a woman. Then there really is no "pulling it off". But there probably is dying it, and waxing it...I don't know about that, really. (I'm mostly Norwegian and Swedish and don't have much in the way of facial hair.)

I just thought I'd let you know. I figured you were wondering when I was going to give my much needed opinion on the matter...

6 comments:

thechristensens said...

Adam "grew" a soul patch once. I say "grow" because I think it took me him months to get it even noticeable under the light.

I'm not a fan of the soul patch either. I think it just looks silly. I guess I'm grateful Adam can't even grow facial hair, I don't have to worry about anything, just a little scruff every few days...

Lefty said...

Linds,

You can thank the Scandinavian thing, I think, for that no-facial hair thing. I still remember when he tried to grow a beard after high school...

Carrot Jello said...

You just wanted to use big words.
And real Scandinavians have goat beards.
Ask your sister.

Lefty said...

Carrot:
Yes, I did. I had to use those words. I have to find ways to use my degree. I'll admit that.

Also: you caught me! I didn't mention the goat thing. I stayed away from the neck and talked strictly of the face. But yes...some people (some!) have goat beards.

Heidi said...

hey! Enough of the slam on my goat beard!!! Not fair!!! :)
Anyhoo, I detest facial hair and have a husband who can't grow hair anywhere else so he grows it on his face. YUCK! But then I don't allow him to tell me how to cut my hair, so why should I be allowed to dictate to him his "sense" of style, which I use VERY loosely, since it isn't a style at all, but just a face full of fur!
He told me he's growing his hair out on his face to be Santa this year, but I reminded him he has a RED beard, Santa has a WHITE beard, so how can he be Santa? His answer? He's Kris Kringle from the Christmas special, and will grow into a white beard eventually. He's promised to trim it down after Christmas, so at least I have the bush gone, which will be a Christmas present to me, in itself!
That all being said, the only person I like the soul patch on, is Danny from the Biggest Loser. I think it looks good on him, but normally I don't like it at all. I'm actually surprised that I like it on him either!
Ok, sermonette over. :)

Lefty said...

Heidi:

I was watching The Biggest Loser with Geoff last night (while contemplating eating some Rolos, ironically) and told him that Dan should shave off the soul-patch. I said I knew it wouldn't take off much weight, but it would take off some of the shame he probably feels wearing it...or should feel...hee-hee-hoo-hoo-tee-hee.