Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sewing Room

"You call eight hours alone with my label-maker wasted time?" -Monica Geller-Bing says to her husband Chandler on NBC's sitcom, Friends.

Now that the rest of the house is unpacked, (almost) everything in its place, I have had the opportunity to turn my attention to my space. It's the smallest room in our four-bedroom, with no closet but with a window. Perfect for a sewing room, eh?

It's not complete, but it is pretty high-functioning now for whatever projects I want to endeavor.

To start, I needed a table and also a place to put things.

Though a sturdy sewing table would be okay, I opted for a fold-down card-table. I wanted to be able to transform this room into a guest room quickly and to be able to use the table as a multi-purpose table for when we have that company. Say...if we want to do a puzzle (because those I associate with are cool) and needed a table we could do that easily: well, a card table fits the bill.

The bookshelf I purchased and it was a self-assembly type (read: not solid wood!) and my loverly Geoff assisted (okay did most of the work) with that. He had purchased the new Transformers movie and we watched it through the assembly process.

What did I do while Geoff read the horribly-written instructions?
Why I covered the backing in shelf-liner, of course! ...I know...I get strange ideas. I just wanted a pop of color to come off the back of it. It was the only thing I could find in the store that I liked. And green is my favorite color. This isn't my favorite shade of green, but still, I love it. It's fresh. Like me when I get around Geoff when he's building a bookshelf for me.

And here is the bookshelf in its home:
Yup. That's a "K" on the shelf. My mother gave it to me; it has a Mary Tyler Moore quality, doesn't it?
At the top of the shelf is my favorite picture of Geoff and me. He's cracking me up, as always.
Oh...you noticed the labels on my drawer-divider-thingy-box...
Yes, I had so much fun with that.
Who says you have to label your drawers with boring words?
And when I'm not creating, I can do a puzzle.
Or spy on my neighbors...

Yes, two irons.
The first is the one I've been using since we've been married.
The second (the mama one) is a gift my mother gave to me for my birthday this year. She used my iron one time and after that insisted I must have a Rowena. No, Rowena isn't the name of a maid she was suggesting (I know, that is what I thought at first, too --kidding, of course!), it's a quality brand of irons. Get one. Or get your mother to get you one. Or call my mom...and maybe she'll get you one...

I don't know why I haven't gotten rid of my original. Does anybody need one?

And speaking of television shows to watch when you're catching up on your ironing (nice segue, I know), have you seen Modern Family on ABC? Funny. It's on Wednesday evenings.








2 comments:

carol said...

Kim, I keep replaying response on the phone the other night as I read your blog about the two irons and said, "Yes, that old iron is a piece of crap!" (Shocking for me to say that, I know!) That's when you started laughing aloud. I miss that sound alot. xoxo

Heidi said...

welcome to the Rowena iron club. Mom got me mine a couple years ago for Christmas after using my iron! I guess the big hint is if Mom uses an appliance of ours and hates it, a new one will magically materialize! :) Just kidding, but only a little.
May I suggest DI for your older iron? Someone, like a student, could snatch it up and use it. Happily.
Love the bookshelf, love it even more that your husband put it together for you! What a man!
Jealous you have a giant K. Where's my giant H? Huh? Huh? Even more jealous you have an actual ROOM to go and do crafty sewey things and other fun things. Not fair! Fair schmair, you say? Well someday my kids will be gone and I'll commandeer one of their rooms as my sewing room. Ha! And I'll have a closet! :)