Monday, November 23, 2009

Five Things I'm Thankful for in the Kitchen...

I'm grateful for many things. Today's post is a superficial, yet very deeply felt, showing of what I am thankful for in the kitchen.

1. Measuring Cups and Spoons
No, not just for measuring cups and spoons, but for many measuring cups and spoons. We received three sets each of measuring cups and spoons. On my own I purchased the liquid measuring cups. When I received these many measuring devices I thought that it was silly to keep them all. I'm so glad for the silliness...because I did keep them all. And you know what? I use them a lot. Like when I'm in a hurry and baking and cooking and mixing and doing this over and over and over again. This time of year all of this measuring equipment comes in handy.

And it's so inexpensive, really. Yet it is so convenient. Yes, I could wash as I go...but Mr. Geoff isn't always in the kitchen with me to do all the washing... kidding...er, sort of...

2. Slanted 2-Cup Liquid Measuring Cup
I purchased this last year. I think I've blogged about it before. But I'm gonna do it again. I know, crazy and redundant. But here it is:
I'm all for shaving seconds off a task; this measuring cup does that. You don't have to lift the cup or squat (unless you want to do more squats) down to see if your liquid is at the right spot. You can see it from above.

3. Liquid Tablespoon/Teaspoon/Ounces/Etc. Cup
What has measuring spoons bowing down to it?
Why, it's a mini-liquid measuring glass!
I saw this at the store (Kmart?) last week. My cart passed it and my eyes met its see-through wall with red markings...and I thought,

wow, that is a great idea.

My frugal heart said,

no, you don't need this.
move along.

So I moved along.

And then circled back around.

...A few dollars.

I grabbed it and put it into my cart and took it home with me.

I've used it many times since. When something calls for a few teaspoons of this or a few tablespoons of that...I reach for the glass. I larve it. Larve. (More than love.)

This is my favorite item on this list. That is why I have not just one, not just two, but three (three!) pictures of it for this post:
4. Magnetic Surfaces at Eye Level
This isn't so much about a product as it is about an idea. I found myself thinking about taping up the recipe (for delicious buttermilk brownies) to a cupboard so I could read it quickly while cooking up the butter, buttermilk and cocoa together at the stove.

Then I thought,
Self!: grab a magnet, I think that hood is magnetic!

And it was.

Then I thought,
Self!: you're a genius. (Well, according to Internet tests on IQ...you're almost a genius. But still, you're incredible! and beautiful! and you make delicious buttermilk brownies that are so magical they mysteriously disappear!)

then I thought,
Self!: you could really use a little humility this time of year!
5. Hand Mixer
Just a second (before I get to this item), I have to talk to my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for a second:

Kitchen Aid: I still adore you. You're not only a beautiful shade of blue, but you help me mix up delicious foods in a jiffy. You also kneed dough for me so I don't have to. I love you. I will still be working you very, very hard this week and in the coming month. And even after this holiday season is over, you will be on my counter often.

Sorry about that. My Kitchen Aid was starting to get a little jealous because it could sense that I was about to praise my hand-mixer.

And it was right. I've forgotten my hand-mixer for many a year. Well, since Mr. Geoff gave me my beautiful Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas more than five years ago. Before that blue beauty stood on my counter, my hand-mixer came in and out of the drawer several times a month. Then it stayed in the drawer until we moved, was packed, unpacked and moved from home to home until now.

I was baking brownies the other day and needed my hand-mixer. It's not any special fancy mixer; it was a wedding gift and has worked wonderfully for us these past (almost) ten years...minus the past five...

When I thought about it at first I wondered if I even had the mixer any more. I vaguely recalled pulling it out of a box a few months ago and putting it away. It didn't take me too long to find it, luckily (because brownies are delicious, are they not? and you want to make them quickly so you can eat them sooner, do you not?)
I just wanted to include this sturdy hand-mixer on my list. Give it a shout-out, you know. There are many great things about it:
a. it's a light piece of equipment and doesn't take up much room
b. the only thing that needs to be washed is the beaters (okay, the belly of the mixer often needs to be wiped down...but that isn't so bad)
c. after using it, you get to push a button and the beaters pop out. i don't know why, but i think it's fun...
So this concludes my five favorite things in the kitchen. I hope you find the cooking and baking enjoyable this week. And maybe with a few of these ideas/products, a little easier.
Seriously, I should get paid for this post...

3 comments:

Carrot Jello said...

you'll be paid in love.

Dan said...

Love the post...!

Dan said...

I'm most thankful for down pillows [besides Holly of course], down comforters, pillow top mattresses and NAPS, NAPS, NAPS!