Thursday, August 27, 2009

Preemptive Excuses

The move has begun!

Facebook begging for boxes.

Craigslist search for boxes. Driving around for boxes in areas of Seattle I've never been before to answer those craigslist adds and pick up strangers' boxes. (I collected about thirty this morning--we need a lot because of all the books in our little library.)

Finding the tape from our last move.

Sharpening our sharpies for marking those boxes. Okay, so I don't actually sharpen sharpies (that would be a mess!), but it just sounded like something that would be fun to say. Try it: sharpening sharpies so they're sharp. (Also, try: redundant.)

Calling movers and arranging appointments for estimates.

Putting up our bookshelves, vanity and gigantic television on craigslist for sale. Maybe one less thing to move...

Answering and/or deleting emails from all those moving companies.

Applying for a house rental and trying to get the lease signed, one state away, on time to secure the home we want.

School district changes, one state away, for Miss Annalise.

Finding a preschool for Miss Madeline.

Dealing with children who are stuck at home while I'm making these arrangements: they play, they fight, I yell, I send them to their room, they come out agreeing to get along, they play, they fight, I yell...and it goes around and around again.

So I hope you'll forgive my sporadic posts, if they do become sporadic. I have some plans for posts:

Goodnight Seattle (my version of Goodnight Moon) with pictures of my loverly 'hood and I'll the things I'll (not) be missing--mostly about apartment managing.

A side-by-side comparison of my boxes of clothes vs. my husband's. He, I'm sure, will have more as he takes up all the room in our closet. I know. Shocking--he's not a clothes horse or a pretty boy (though I often tease him by calling him "pretty boy"), he just has a lot of clothes for work.

I might even throw in a picture of all the jam I've made this summer, in boxes (only if you're lucky). Oh--I need to make another batch of the jam using the various berries I froze that didn't get all used up. If I don't defrost, cook and can them, they'll go to waste; and we don't want that do we precious? (No, I haven't watched LOTR since our cruise in May, I'm just channeling Gollum for kicks and giggles.) That will be another jam naming event.

I also still need to name the blackberry jam. I'm somewhere between Are We Human or Are We Blackberry Jam (because I think those lyrics are so strange) and Back in Blackberry (because it flows so nicely).

I've got to go and feed my little ones, pack some more, and make some phone calls.

6 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

If you get left with too much jam on your hand, you know who you can give it to ;) !!

Let me know what and when you need me to help! You are going to be sorely missed!

Megan said...

I have two large boxes that are just itching to take a one way trip to Rexburg (SAD!)

Stephanie said...

How exciting for you guys to be able to move to Rexburg. Answers to prayers are amazing. We are very happy for you guys. Good luck with all the packing and moving arrangements.

Kinley said...

WOW! So I apparently didn't remember that Geoff went there to go to school for an MHA! Cory is in the process of applying to schools for that very degree! We are still in Rexburg and it tickled my heart a bit that you are coming back! We are still in WT hopeing to someday take a great adventure that will lead us elsewhere (hence the applications) but we love it here! Of course, we are from the area, so naturally, we are partial! Let me know when you are going to be arriving and I will bring you dinner and Geoff a cherry pie! kinley.ricks@gmail.com (if you would like to keep it on the dl!!!) I am sure everyone else is a little sad to see you go, but I an super excited to see you come!!!

carol said...

This post is my reality check...you're really going to Inner Idaho (Outer Idaho would be Couer de Laine, or however one spells it). Can the girls come play here every day until you leave? p.s. I know where your moving tape is. p.p.s. Using a freshly-bought Sharpie is almost as thrilling as opening your very own new box of Crayola Crayons.

Rachel said...

WOW! so I'm not sure what's going on with you...You are going to REXBURG??? and what will you be doing...and when is geoff getting called to be a general authority....TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!