Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Seattle Adventures

There are several areas of Seattle. Yesterday the girls and I travelled to two of them: Ballard and Queen Anne. All in the name of purple buttons. (Are you tired of reading about this quilt?)

A friend told me about The Quilting Loft in Ballard and after her description of wondrous bolts of fabric, I had to go. It is located on Market Street and 26th.

As we got out of the car and started walking into the store I asked the girls the most important question: "What are fabric-store manners?" To which they replied, "No running around. No screaming." I don't know if you've read, or remember, but we had what I call "The Unfortunate Incident" a year or two ago, and I never want to repeat it. So I go over my expectations of their behavior before we enter fabric stores, libraries, any place that requires well-behaved children, really.

I knew I was in a great store the minute I walked in: walls and cases of vivid, beautiful prints. And the touch: sumptuous, substantial fabrics with lovely draping. This is no Jo-Ann Fabric Store! This place is high-end quality. The price is double--but so worth it for pieces you want to last. I want to go play here sometime without the girls so I can spend more time with the fabric.

They didn't have buttons. Well, I'm sure they had buttons, but they didn't have a large selection. The young girl at the front desk was so helpful (another important thing to note about this little shop). She not only recommended Nancy's in Queen Anne, but gave me the address, directions and a phone number.

After driving over the Ballard Bridge (that was down and functioning when we went over to Queen Anne, but we had to wait on the way home, as a ship went through and it was up like the picture below; very fun for the girls to see!)
and through a few left turn-right turn-left turn-right turns, we arrived at Nancy's Sewing Basket on Queen Anne. There is a Ribbon Room there, and a Wall of Buttons. I found a button that, though not one full inch (it's a 3/4), it is a near perfect shade of purple. I bought the six they had and a gal there ordered eighteen more that will be there within ten business days, and then shipped to my home.

I will post pictures of the complete quilt when all the buttons are on. Until then, I may have some other things to write about, other than quilting! Bet you're happy about that!!
For you Seattle locals: if you like fabric, then you'll like the fabric stores I mentioned. Check 'em out--and if you need a girlfriend to go with, I'll get a sitter and we can go together.

2 comments:

Carrot Jello said...

Seriously? I'm not sick of hearing about the quilt, it's the buttons that are driving me crazy.
I'm about to go find you some myself.

Dan said...

sounds like a fun project. I'll be excited to see the finished result.