No, we're not going back to school. In case you don't know, this is both Geoff's and my "Alma Mater" where he earned his B.S. in Business Finance, and I earned my B.S. in Health Science.
I don't think I've ever mentioned it, but we're resident apartment managers at an apartment complex in a somewhat shady part of Seattle. At least, it's much shadier than my sweet home town of Edmonds, Washington. We found this job/residence just before my husband's second year of graduate school. He was blessed to be able to manage a health clinic in Wallingford (area of Seattle) through his second year of school, on an interim basis, while taking some of his classes through the executive program for the MHA degree to make up his MHA program's daytime courses that he was missing while at work. His professors were very supportive of the idea of him managing, and we were so fortunate that they worked with him. It not only brought income our way, but a year of work experience in health care.
So our first year of this grad-school thing was no income and with rent, our second year was no rent and some good income.
Graduate school has been over for one year now. He earned his MHA at University of Washington in June of 2008.
I've been so over this job, for much longer than one year. But free rent, just out of school: Martha would say, "it's a good thing" and I quite agree. It's a bit of a trap, really. The job is not fun, but if you aren't ready to by a house (since we've no idea where we'll end up in the next few years at this point in career) and don't want to waste money on rent, it's a good solution. But a trap.
I've been really wanting to stop this insanity of managing, and start thinking about having another baby soon (if you couldn't tell). I couldn't see the two going together. Not only that, but this neighborhood...not so good! (Maybe I'll blog about it...maybe not.) We want to raise our girls in a nicer area, and hopefully purchase a home soon, as well; I don't know if you've watched the prices in the Seattle area, we just don't want to agree to $400,000 for a small starter home.
So all those things were one big catalyst for Geoff to start a job search. We prayed in our couple prayer every night specifically for a job that would meet all of those needs. Geoff was on the Internet almost every night looking for a job. He kept his search open to most areas in the country. The health administrator field is healthy, but not immune to the economy's sad state. Geoff has been competing with seasoned executives in his field for jobs.
Out of all those applications, one response came strongly through (though there were some others) that met our needs perfectly, and one in which our hearts were close to: Rexburg, Idaho.
We giggled like little school-girls when he was contacted for that job. The job is managing a specialty group of doctors. Also, the company he is contracted with have helped finance a health management program at ISU, and have suggested to Geoff that he may be able to teach a course through that program. It is an hour away, but a good opportunity to learn.
He had a few phone interviews, one in-person interview with the president of the corporation a few weekends ago, and then this past weekend he flew there (came back Monday night) to meet the good folks in Rexburg.
He was contacted yesterday morning with the official go-ahead and we are now making our plans. It isn't set in stone (it may be sooner than this) but our tentative date for departure is the 24th of September. Annalise will be missing a little bit of school, but I think she won't get far behind. She's a smart girl and will catch up quickly.
I've been anxiety ridden for the past month about this. Now it's changed to a need to gather boxes and pack, sell what we don't want to take with us, arrange for movers, and soak up as much time as possible with my parents. It breaks my heart to leave them again. (I'm tearing up typing about it--must stop typing about it!)
Geoff found the house we want to rent (until maybe finding a home to buy there) and we'll be securing it with a deposit soon. It will be nice to live in a house. We've been students so long we keep referring to the house as "the apartment": a habit I will be thrilled to break! It has a back yard, is twice the size of our current space, and even has a basketball hoop in the driveway so I can kick Geoff's trash on the court...that's right Geoff, the trash-talk starts now!
13 comments:
Congratulations! We are envious that you found a job in Rexburg! :-)
Hooray! This sounds perfect. Especially the ISU part as we are Pocatello residents.
Here's your open invitation to the Pocatello Frankman home, any time,for any reason! Hope to see you soon!
Well, I guess my hopes of randomly running into you guys at Gorditos are dashed now. :-) Fantastic news about the job hunt, sounds like Geoff really found a great opportunity. May you and your family be blessed in this time of change, perhaps with an auburn haired baby girl.
Do you have an email address Kimberlee?
My email address connected to this blog is prone-girl@hotmail.com
Kim, Geoff called Rick on his way to the airport on Monday and spilled the beans to us. We are thrilled for you!! Student mode can sure take it out of you. Especially in the 30's. It sucks to say "I am 30 and I am student poor." Anyway, I am excited for you. We are hoping to get a real salary set by January for this position if they keep Rick in his position after thefellowship. Our salary wont go up until June or July, but I will be thrilled to do like you guys and find a cute house to rent as we pay off our bills and save to buy. Congratts! I wish we were going to be neighbors! We'll have to plan a co/vacation soon! Love you guys! Say hi to the girls for me and Rick and of course Jakie (oh and Ricky now.)
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats. Smart move on the renting and not buying yet; Rexburg sounds dreamy. Maybe with that backyard you can finally have your dream of a strawberry patch. September is a pretty good time to plant them; ours always made it through the winter beautifully. My Brother In-law is a hospital administrator in California (he took after my Father in-law who was one also) this is his 5th position in 7 years and they are stuck with a house in a small town in Colorado that won't sell. He is finally moving up the ladder enough to root himself permanently. He sure does regret buying a house; he didn't realize how quickly new opportunities come up in his line of work. If he had it to go back he would rent or buy a very modest house until he is where he wants to stay for the remainder of his career. I am excited for you little families new adventure and can't wait to read more about it.
I've said it before, I'll say it again...you really should have cleared this with me first, but I am happy for you and your family. I understand the desperate need to be in a home.
Congratulations on this great new chapter in your lives! Rexburg (though not anywhere I'd want to live) is a great place to raise kids and you'll love being in a house with a yard. We'll definitely miss you here, but hopefully you'll come visit us when you head back to Seattle on occasion.
Congrats! Isn't moving kind of bittersweet, even if you are excited about it? As I've been packing our stuff to move to our new house, I've had lots of mixed emotions about living further away from all of our friends- it really helps that half of our ward seems to be moving though! It's less of a bummer.
Good luck with everything- I love Idaho (it's where I grew up) and I I'm sure your girls will love it there, too, especially with a nice big yard. I will continue to stalk your blog- it's always such a treat to read it.
Congratulations. Sounds like a great choice, and move for your family, longevity and career development. We'll miss you!
So now you don't have to email me about why you're moving. I did my homework and (gasp) checked a blog! It's nothing personal, this non-checking. I just don't get much computer time and I'm a little all or nothing about some things. Blogs are one of them. Anyways, enough of my excuses--CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited you found a situation to meet so many of your needs and desires. Heavenly Father is amazing, isn't he? I will miss you, but am so happy our stars aligned to meet and become friends while we were in Greenwood. So is Lauren. I haven't broken the news to her yet, but I'm sure she'll be sad her Madeline and Annalise will be leaving.
Okay, now I am giggling like a school girl - Yay! Do you even know how close to me you will be?! okay, it is 45 minutes or so, but still, Yay! Let me know how I can help when you are headed this way!
Post a Comment