Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Domestic Day

At church the other day a lady exclaimed, "You're so domestic!" I suppose I am; but I feel like such an amateur so often that I don't think of myself as such.

Today was a domestic day, though. Last night I went out with some girlfriends and when I came back to my car the rear window on the passenger side was all cracked and ready to shatter. I didn't want to drive around today with a window like that, and even more so with the girls; so we stayed home. Since summer started, the girls have become accustomed to leaving our home early and returning home a little bit before dinner. So I had to get creative to reduce the boredom which then results in fighting. With this overcast morning and afternoon we had here (I'm so grateful for it!) I brought out the rolling pins.

On my wish list is a rolling pin without the handles. Martha has one; so I want one, too.
With the Kiss Me Chocolate Raspberry Spread I wanted to make some jam sandwich cookies. The recipe I have calls for reducing the jam for 20 minutes,
then extracting the seeds. So this is what I did.

Annalise was most disturbed by this different cookie, and wanted desperately for some chocolate chip cookies. I indulged her:

but only to a point: For some reason I can't seem to get chocolate chip cookies to turn out right. I've tried a few recipes and they often come out all the same. The real problem is that I don't want the side effects of figuring out the best recipe (since I have a hard time not eating the products!), so I seldom make cookies.

I may not be able to make chocolate chip cookies turn out great, but these jam sandwich cookies were easy and turned out pretty:

After cleaning up the kitchen, I turned my attention to the purple quilt. It has sat and sat, only being picked up and worked on occasionally. I took it on the cruise, and quilted when Geoff and I read (Geoff read a big portion while I quilted) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I haven't picked it up much since then.

I only have six blocks left to quilt! Then I'll cut the bias binding, sew it to the quilt top and then hand stitch to the back of the quilt.

Every once in a while I must mention why this blog is called "Accident Prone Left-hander": Pictures are worth a thousand words:
That was from last night.
I now have a matching cut from a needle on my other hand, same spot on the index finger, too!

I think I'll finish off this domestic day with some laundry.
And then maybe a bubble bath...because I'm more Indulgent Diva than Domestic Diva.

2 comments:

Jon and Julie said...

Yummy! Any left over?

Dan said...

I am impressed. I want samples.