Saturday, August 22, 2009

What the crap?

So I'm driving home from a child's birthday party this afternoon and Madeline inquires, "Mom, what's what-the-crap?"

It took me a few times to figure out what she asked. When I heard it I thought: oh no, was that from me? I don't exactly have a filthy mouth, but I do practice some free (un-classy) speech from time-to-time; often in the car, sometimes in the kitchen (being accident-prone, the kitchen is a high-injury room for me and I have the scars to prove it), and always when a friend's been vexed by another human (the other human being subjected to the meanest words that will roll off my tongue).

I explained to her what the phrase generally expresses, the best I can to a four-year old. I have a really hard time explaining things simply. It takes me a few times before I can phrase things just right.

Madeline wasn't sure where she heard it (was she just being polite to me?). She did know that the word "crap" is another word for "b.m." and quite enjoyed that. She has a deep adoration for bathroom humor.

Have you ever noticed how words sound differently when they come from the mouth of a child?

In addition to that, have you ever noticed how some words are casual in some places and completely inappropriate in others? For instance, the word "crap" maybe be a common and almost benign word usually (though I try not to say it), but did you find it weird that I included the word in the title of this post? And even more strange, when a person uses a word like that over the pulpit at church.

On the flip side, I feel a little naughty using the word "ass" in everyday speech, but at church in Sunday School class, it's fine to say. That, and hell. Hell is perfectly fine to say at church, though I'm not often (does this mean i sometimes do?!) telling people that they should go there, while at church.

And speaking of church, I was just a child when a man used the phrase "son-of-a-b*%$#" during his Sacrament Meeting talk. That is a little more extreme than "crap", but it did happen and I had to mention it, since I'm on the topic.

I think that this is just the beginning with Madeline asking me for definitions of words... she has a knack for listening to and absorbing everything in that little spongy brain of hers.

5 comments:

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

Wow. I use the "c" word all the time. I need to clean it up I guess. I don't want my little darlings dropping "c" bombs.

Shumway's said...

Oh man, I feel terrible now. I say crap all of the time(but he never uses that one) but Jakie sure likes to use Da## it!! I know it is from me too. I dont say it often, but when it slips it is just so memmorable for him. He used it once with you and again in sunday school recently. I bet he uses it more than that, but we had a long talk and I am hoping that he will keep it clean. How many 4 year olds out there are using that word in sunday school that have a mom that is primary president!! Not Good! Anyway, I am glad that Madeline did not learn crap from Jakie!! Makes me feel a little better.

Mallory said...

Oh I remember sacrament growing up and this one guy would always use multiple cuss words in his testimony...it would make us giggle. Good luck explaining all the words and concepts! At least you have a knack of being good at explaining things =)

Diana said...

So True!
Someone in my ward said son-of-a as well during his talk.
And, now you are making me start being more aware of what I say.

carol said...

Get over here right now, young lady, so that I can wash your mouth out with green Lava soap!!
(signed)
Mother

p.s. As for the cussing High Councilor (whose assignment was Facilities--maintaining clean, repaired church buildings)--he was good and mad about members who were messy! But he didn't say those 3 words, just their abbreviation. He was released shortly thereafter...