Friday, April 3, 2009

"'s or *'s...my many questions

Lately I've noticed people putting *'s around words. Is this to replace the quotation marks (that are often abused) or does this mean something else?

For instance I'll read a friend's facebook comment and some other friend will comment to it by writing: *wink, wink*

What does that mean? It's the only thing they write.

Is the person winking at their comment? When using *'s, it is to mean a physical action? Are they telling the person to wink? What does the * have to do with the comment? I'm so confused.

And why are people using text language (is the * text language, too?) when emailing or facebooking? I realize that texting is something some people don't want to spend forever at so they shorten their words...but with a keyboard in front of you (and not just the ten keys of a phone) why don't you write everything out?

UR so SWT 2 RD my BLG. (*cringe*)

Are we heading for a new written language? I hope not, I'm still trying to figure out our current one.

4 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

I think the *s are put around words that are suppose to represent an action- I don't really know why, though. I use to get annoyed with internet speak and I still get frustrated with text talk, but then again, what's the point in picking apart grammar on people's facebook messages? Now the only time I get annoyed is when I read a published piece that has all kinds of errors- which happens quite often, unfortunately.

Calley said...

I could make myself vomit by giving you my rant about text language, so I will refrain because I hate throwing up. But I'm kind of feeling the *s lately, because I use quotes way too often. But I think Rory is correct; that it means action. Maybe, but what do I know about these things?!

Lucy van Pelt said...

The *'s on regular words are to indicate emphasis (or words you would normally italicize or bold). The *'s should only be used because there's no option for adding the italics or bold. Examples would be facebook or IM. It totally bugs me when it happens anywhere that you can use italics. I mean really!

Lefty said...

thank you, to Noelle for the enlightenment. I love putting my questions (and maybe some sarcasm) out into the world for it to be returned with answers, wisdom and sometimes commiseration.