Last year I made a deal with myself in hopes that I would eat less chocolate: to not eat cheap chocolate, but only fine quality chocolate. For fine chocolate, I'm talking Godiva chocolate; it's my favorite.I made this deal because I thought it would guarantee my not eating grocery store chocolate (with a very few exceptions), candy bars, and especially not Easter Basket chocolate and the horrible cheap, waxy, super sweet, milk chocolate bunnies that grace them. (Such a waste of calories! Such a waste of cocoa!)
I like dark chocolate better than milk. It has to be a very good quality milk chocolate for my tongue and taste buds to approve. Fruit and chocolate, nuts and chocolate, caramel and chocolate, chocolate and chocolate; I love them all.
Fast forward to this year, and this past weekend, in particular. I've been part of the massacre on chocolate bunnies. I admit it. I'm not proud of it. I've been brutally biting off their ears and feet when my little girls aren't looking. I've taken arms off and bunny tails. I should probably make an apology to the bunnies out there, but I can't, for it was their destiny to be eaten.
The apology should really go to me and my body. I'm so sorry that I made you eat that waxy chocolate. I'm so sorry I made you purchase waxy chocolate: it wasn't cheap, and it wasn't good. Most of all, I'm sorry to my body, for I know it wants to take off pounds of weight, and eating the chocolate arms, legs, tails, ears and sometimes (gasp!) faces, adds up to calories, which adds up to pounds.
So what do I learn? What am I going to change for next year?
Will I stay away from the cheap chocolate? I am planning on it.
(But just between you and me, I'm thinking about buying Godiva Bunnies. This way, I don't have to even have this conversation. I will feel good about the once-a-year indulgence of fine chocolate. I'll even rationalize the dark chocolate's aid in increasing my good cholesterol. (Who am I kidding though?...I have excellent cholesterol levels. Blessed genetics in just a few regions.))
4 comments:
Godiva makes chocolate bunnies? ahhhhhhhh, that would be divine. I wish Godiva chocolates weren't so pricey- but maybe it's a good thing- I eat less that way. I agree- cheap chocolate isn't worth the calories, but the good stuff is. But, I've eaten my share of cheap chocolate-covered mashmallows this week- bleh.
Oh ands don't forget those good anti-oxidants in dark chocolate (equivalent to blue berries). Seems justified to me; your health needs the good chocolate.
You REALLY need to take the tour at Theo Chocolate in the Fremont area of Seattle!!! Not do they only have Good Chocolate but it is organic! The tour costs $6.00 and you get that much back in samples.
http://www.theochocolate.com/
Also, once you are convinced that this is the best chocolate you have tasted, you might notice that Bartell Drugs and PCC both carry this brand. (Last week it was on sale at Bartell drugs for less than 1/2 what it costs at the factory but they only had 5 varieties.
I wonder if Vegans would eat chocolate bunnies
Post a Comment