Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fruits of My Labor

I don't think there is anything more satisfying than creating something that is beautiful.

The most fulfilling, of course, is a child. Well more so in the nurturing of that child. Pregnancy is an incredible gift, of course; however it is in the raising of that child, watching it grow and develop and become: that is the greatest joy and fulfillment.

But today I'm talking more of the creation of lesser, but still very gratifying things.

Madeline and I "made flowers", as she says, last fall by planting tulip bulbs. It has been so fun watching them out our window growing. We cut some last week and brought them in. They light up the room with their bloom...ahh, rhyming...

Tulips are one of my favorite flowers.

(My all time favorite is the peony with it's soft luscious petals and full romantic bloom.)

One of the great things about tulips is they seem all innocent when you look at them from the side, but wham! Look at their sexy insides:

Striking, isn't it?

This weekend continued it's sale of strawberries at Costco for $1.25 a pound, so I had to make jam.

It is so pleasing to me to feed my family goods that I made. It will be even more gratifying, I am sure, to grow the food myself.

I grew up a city girl. Well, that's a stretch a bit: I grew up a suburb girl. I had a wonderful back yard to play in all day long. I had a warm neighborhood where in if I didn't know all the names of those on the streets, my parents did. It was safe. I long to raise my girls in that same environment. All in good time...

There is an ever growing (and perhaps naive) side of me that dreams of rural life. To have an orchard of trees of various fruits, a fantastic vegetable, fruit and herb garden, all organic, with a rich compost bin and a chicken coop...well it would be dandy.

The city, er suburb girl that is so very strong snubs, "ewh, what does coop rhyme with? yes, that coop is going to smell!" The unborn rural woman in me cries, "yes! but fresh eggs!"

I realize that it would be hard work. I would forever be outside taking care of the land. It is that hard work that draws me a little to that, though. Sometimes I think I would be happier (though I am pretty happy) if the technology was taken away, I was given land and a home, some animals and some seeds...okay, so maybe keep the indoor plumbing, granite counter tops and convection oven, and a full day spa nearby...but simplifying life, while adding some old fashioned physical labor seems a very wonderful option to me.

Of course, this suburb girl still just wants to go to massage therapy tomorrow...and maybe order take out for dinner tomorrow night...

8 comments:

Yumi said...

Hey, Kim! I saw "lefty" and had to click on it to figure out it was you! I've since added your blog to my feeds...since I no longer know what you're up to w/out facebook! I should probably quit, too...but I won't. :)
Oh, and to make space in your posts, click on html tab while composing & add space on the html page... it usually works for me.

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

I think that sounds dreamy, too! Lots of land and all the conveniences, too!

Holly said...

How lovely, the tulips and the jam! I also very much appreciate your comments on creation and nurturing. Dan and I have similar inner struggles with city life vs. a life with more space and land to build a garden. If you figure out how to have the best of both worlds, let me know!

Lefty said...

Thank you, Yumi, for your help on the HTML. It fixed the problem for me and now I can go back in previous posts (because I am OCD that way) and fix those, as well!

Dan said...

That jam looks amazing! Yum!

carol said...

Trust me, the countryside girl isn't you! Unless you can bring all the amenities of the city with you. I think your happy spot would be a cooking show on FYI or Style. I could see you as the epitome cooking diva, teaching Mother Earth skills--in the city!

carol said...

I loved the pictures of the tulips. The one showing its inside design (I don't remember the anatomy of a flower--the stamen??) reminded me of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings of flowers.

54 canoe said...

The dandylions in my yard are ready to harvest if you get a hangerin' for some "tilling the earth" action. You can even keep all you harvest for free. And I'm sure there's a day spa you could swing by on your way home. And Central Market is just 4 blocks away.