Friday, July 11, 2008

Words

I noticed that I used the word, "personally" twice in a previous post about blogging. Why didn't I notice that? I get pretty picky about words.

I notice while reading a book when the author uses the same "big word" more than twice. Is that strange of me? Even if it is the right word to use I always assume it must be the author's favorite word and why couldn't he/she get a thesaurus out and be more creative and use a different "big word" for the next chapter.

As for me, I could have easily edited out the first "personally" as it was superfluous. (Note: I don't see "personally" as a big word--I was just mentioning "big words" to show how finicky I am.)

And speaking of superfluous: I know somebody who used that word incorrectly. I don't really know what she was saying but I've run through the various ways the word can be used and it doesn't add up. That same woman is always throwing big words out and often they are not used properly. Ignorant pretension.

I do love big words as often they help articulate what needs to be said. Like professionals who specialize in a particular field, these "big words" are specialty expressions.

And while I'm on the soap box of words...it is Supposedly, not Supposably. "D" not "B". I was at a framing store a few months back and the man working there not only used the word with a "B"--he said it over and over again. ...Like ten times in five sentences. I don't think it would have bothered me (or amused me, really) if he had only said it once.

And for the Latter-day Saints: it is Patriarchal not Patriarticle. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the word carefully, syllable by syllable, and you may notice a new word.

Also for the LDS: please do me a favor and say, "Doctrine and Covenants" instead of D&C. We don't call the New Testament, "NT" or the Old Testament, "OT" or the Book of Mormon, "BoM"...D&C is a written abbreviation for the scriptures, but it is also (and why I hate hearing it at church) a procedure done on women after a miscarriage or to perform an abortion. It is an abbreviation for Dilation and Curettage but in the medical field they are allowed to abbreviate orally given how much time it would take to say or spell everything out...we aren't in that big of a hurry in Sunday School.

I'm so mean. And I wonder what I do...besides saying "like" way too much! It is superfluous...Aha! I used the word correctly. Well...I do know what I do: I am critical and particular and waste a lot of energy being irritated by ignorance.

End Rant! I feel so much better...or negative...Have a Wonderful Day!!

You'll have to excuse me as I had a migraine yesterday and my head hurts today and I get cranky when swimming in self pity.

Has any one edited this post to see if I am not so perfect in the English? Or spell check? Then you are so much like me! That's too bad. If we could only harness this energy for good...

6 comments:

Rachel said...

AMEN! Thank you! I have had those very same thoughts and especially since my miscarriages it REALLY bothers me when people say "D&C" instead of Doctrine and Covenants. Often when I hear people use words incorrectly or pronounce incorrectly or just plain use bad english, I will either correct it in my head as if I'm correcting them or if it's a family memember I correct them aloud. If only we could be "Word Girl" The super-girl on PBS. Must go settle a squabble. Thanks and See ya later. PS. I know I'm the queen of run-on sentences! :)

Lefty said...

I'm the same way about correcting people's grammer in my head. I am constantly correcting my own out loud (because I am a perfectionist and am the hardest on myself) and do that frequently. I don't know what is wrong with my English... hanging out with children all day? being surrounded in public with it (even though I correct them...in my head)? going to lax public school? It cannot be my parents--my father's grammer is impecable and my mother is one of those ladies who randomly throws out an articulated "big word" implemented at the appropriate time. She has corrected the woman of whom I spoke in this blog before on a different word. Though she was kind about it. I wouldn't be so kind and this is why Geoff has "trained" me to keep my mouth shut and "be nice"

Carrot Jello said...

Oh geez. If you come to my blog you'd better never complain about my grammar, or spelling. I know where you live. I even know where your parents live.
muwahahaha!
Did I spell that right?
You know what they say, when you're focused on other peoples problems it's because you don't want to focus on your own. Maybe it's the same thing with grammar and spelling, lol.

Carrot Jello said...

I must admit, I hate it when people say "prostRate problems" instead of "prostate problems". What's that? You've got problems laying down flat on the ground? There's a surgery for that?

Lefty said...

I did say in my comment that i'm the hardest on myself--i am focused so much on my own problems that it has become a problem...self absorption: almost as bad as ignorant pretension...no, worse!

Lefty said...

OH! One more thing on that prostate subject, Carrot Jello: on the back of Midol packages you will read that if you have prostate problems you must consult your doctor before taking this medication...