Random. That's me. But it just occurred to me that one of you may know the answer...
I was at the gym today, running/walking intervals on the treadmill. It was a short cardio, just 35 minutes. I got off the treadmill and started walking to get a paper towel and some cleanser to clean off my machine (I wish everyone would...). I was amused at how funny it felt to walk after running...like I was floating. And then it happened.
I felt like I was dreaming. I knew I was awake and at the gym, but that cloudy and numb feeling of sleep came over me. My senses became dull and I couldn't feel anything. I freaked out for a brief moment panicking, but calmed myself down just as fast. This has happened to me before many times, and I assume it is very common. But it was unsettling to me because I was in a public place and though my feet were walking, I couldn't feel anything. (By the way, if this happened during labor, or during a migraine, it wouldn't be so bad. Though I did wonder if I was getting one and this was some new aura.)
I concentrated on getting the machine wiped up and shortly came back to reality. And then a little later at my friend's house it happened for a minute or so.
So I really am not worried about this, but fascinated. I ran a google search, but my keywords didn't bring up anything relevant. (Though I did find an article about how to look awake while sleeping at work! I think my dad told me once how to do that...)
So does anybody know if this has a name? I'd like to know what is happening in the brain when this occurs. Is it just a response from the body telling me to go take a nap because I didn't get enough sleep last night? ...Perhaps it was the lovely endorphins that visit you after a work out; my heart rate was somewhat high during the runs and it was still about 135 or so when I stopped and this occurred. Maybe the hormones were at a high dose or something? Weird. Scary for situations where you need to be alert, or a wonderful out-of-body thing if you're in pain. And just fine if you are actually going to sleep at night.
So...what do you think or more importantly: know?!
2 comments:
Narcolepsy? Blacking out? What you described kind sounds like what I have felt the few times I've blacked out...
As for wiping down at the gym, I do it before and after I work out now...I saw some nasty sweaty person just waslk away from the machine they had been on and the machine was nasty! Blech.
Time travel?? But I guess that all depends on where you are when you come to?? Man, I hope its time travel! Well, for my sake of course :)
I'll try wikipedia, too.
Post a Comment