Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Technology Rules!

I love you...but I also love technology.

I read an article on technology manners. Did you think this was going to be a love letter to technology? Sorry, it's an etiquette commentary.

So, please, check this out. (click on "this"...)

On iContact:
I'm so glad that the phone/text usage when with other people made the list. My dilemma with these handy devices, and I saw this trend start with the simple cell phone, is the disconnect from real people. Don't get me wrong, I understand that these devices can and are suppose to be used to connect with people. But I noticed that people get chained to these devices. And sometimes, unfortunately, those chains come with the price of disconnect. I know, ironic. Do you know what I'm talking about?

No? Picture this:
Family function. Somebody is talking. A teenager is nearby, texting. A cell phone (that is discreetly silenced to not bother anyone) goes off and a man pulls it from his pocket and excuses himself to the other room (or worse: answers it in the room while another person already has the floor!) Just so you know, I have never personally been shut out because of a call (nobody would dare! especially after reading this), I have just been disturbed in observation. Years ago, all would be patiently (and maybe even engaged!) listening to and speaking with each other.

Now, there are things to do, people to see, friends to text, business that can't wait, and email to check. And don't get me started on cell phone usage in meetings! I can only think of a few people who need to have their phones on person, all the time. And those people are in the medical profession. Did you know that you can get a hold of somebody if they don't have their cell phone on? Remember back in the day when you called their work, the home of the person they are visiting, the store (if really urgent) that they are at? That's how we did it, just in case you forgot. Oh, and the phone book isn't just a booster seat--it has phone numbers in it! I know, I forgot that, too.

I'm not anti-technology. I just think we need to have some wisdom in our use. We need to use the phones for connecting, and when we're with others, we need to be there.

Forwards without Research
If you know me well, then you know my #1 pet peeve (okay, so bigotry--but as far as technology): Forwarding ridiculous emails without researching. Snopes.com. It's so fast. It's so easy. And it's so nice to not waste other people's time!! While we're on the subject: don't send me cute pictures of animals (I'm not an animal lover), man-hating jokes (I happen to love and respect good men and don't like to put a blanket on all of them just because a few are ill-behaved), or unsolicited political junk. But more importantly: snopes.com.

Loud talking
I admit. I do it. Apparently. Geoff says I do. When will I learn that these cell phones are excellent and pick up on my voice just fine? I'm trying. See? I know I make mistakes. I admit. But it still doesn't let you off the hook for verifying your information through snopes.com!

3 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

Wow, I totally agree. Snopes is where it's at!!!! And cell phones- sometime I wish I never had one. There was a time when I couldn't be reached because I was at the park with my family or at a friends home, then dun dun dun, the cell phone came along. Sometimes it's nice to let the battery die and take a day off.

carol said...

I agree with your observations totally! Because of technology our lives have sped up and are more demanding on our time, not less. Sometimes we just need to breathe! And be uninterrupted while we socialize. But my best cellphone manners story occured at Christmas time at a 'help desk'. There was a long line of people qued and when the next up person continued talking on her cellphone, the help desk person just said "Next". The person behind the caller was 'next'! Everyone grinned, the bumped cell phone user was stunned with the shut-out. Manners, I love them.

Lindy said...

I agree with all of the habits NBC's commentary lists, except that of getting rid of the Rick Roll. I love the Rick Roll. It has never gotten old to me, and I think it never will.