If I had my own talk show (blogs are a one-sided, self-absorbed close!), with sponsors ready to dish out products in mass for advertising them, I would invite you all and give you the things I'm going to talk about. (Sometimes I wonder if those "favorite things" on Oprah aren't really just companies begging Oprah to advertise for her with a trade of a suitcase full of money.)
These items aren't expensive (relatively...relating to a car, or a gaudy diamond watch) and they don't represent all of my favorite things. But they are items I think all should have in their homes.
In no particular order:
#1: The six in one Screwdriver
So I have only used four functions of this screwdriver that has two sizes of each flat and Phillips bits, along with two sizes of nut drivers ("what are nut drivers?", I ask in my helpless girly voice.) When I purchased this screwdriver, life got easier. I just stick it in my pocket and go tighten screws and assemble cheap IKEA furniture! And in case you're wondering, I'm a classy girl--no low rise jeans for this plumber!#2: Water bottles
Have you seen pictures of the landfills, full of plastic water bottles? Sad. Good that we're all getting more water, sad that they aren't all recycled. I purchased a pretty pink water bottle about a month ago. I'm feeling fancy drinking water out of it. I'm feeling a little more conscientious for not always drinking water from a disposable bottle. Note: my mention of "not always", because I do keep them in the trunk and use them.
Oh--and I also drink water out of a glass. Did you know that you can? Try it if it's been a while; it feels decadent.
Recently I was reading an article about the bacteria colony growth in these reusable water bottles. Even when washed they can have quite the bacterial neighborhood development growing inside. The article's suggestion (no, I didn't check the source to know who I was actually reading from) was to use steel water bottles, which can help inhibit growth. I will probably stick with my pretty pink water bottle and enjoy the bacteria, too. Water keeps me regular, and the bacteria even more!! (ew...I just used bathroom talk. If you know me, you are not surprised. If you are my mom, you are embarrassed or laughing.)
#3. Wipes.
I like all wipes. Baby wipes, Cleaning Wipes, Adult Restroom Wipes.
In regards to baby wipes: After we had children and always had some baby wipes in the car, we questioned how we existed before having wipes on hand for little spills. I don't diaper babies anymore (not for a while, at least) but I still have baby wipes.
Cleaning Wipes. You know those anti-bacterial wipes for almost any surface. Love 'em. I don't always have them--I consider them a splurge. But they are fantastic and quick and my six year old loves wiping down the bathroom counter, door and floor with them. I love that even more than the wipes!
Adult Restroom wipes. I'm not going to go into too much detail. Cottonelle is the brand we use. Try them if you haven't.

#4. Rice heating bags.
I made these as Christmas gifts a few years ago while we were in undergrad school. I made them for everybody not knowing if all would love them like I do. But I was very surprised on the response. I thought my parents would be the least likely to use them. I think they used them and appreciated them the most. My father's kidneys failed completely about five years ago and was using dialysis to stay alive. The access site (fistula) in his arm was "stealing" blood from the site down to his hand, causing poor circulation and pain. My parents found that putting a heated rice bag on his lower arm made him feel better. My mother found this helped her leg cramps at night. My husband loves these at the foot of the bed, too. On cold nights it helps the feet stay warm and sleep is better.#5 Aquaphor

I would not be a "Christensen" if I didn't preach about the Word of Aquaphor. This sister product of Eucerin (which more people are familiar with) is fabulous for eczema or just regular dry skin. I slather this stuff on my face at night and it is fabulous. For eczema you put some Aquaphor into a cup and pour a bit of water in it and mix it with a spoon. Then you rub it onto to eczema spots. This compound is a recipe my mother's dermatologist taught her. It's fabulous.
3 comments:
Clorox wipes are my cleaning tool of choice. I'm not sure how I managed to clean before I discovered them.
By the way, I found you through 32 flavors, I may be stalking you from time to time.
I love your really informative and friend-sharing tips! I am such a fan of the rice bags. Try adding oil of lavender to the rice before sealing the bag. The pleasant scent of the moist-heat (microwaved) bag is restful, enjoyable and restorative! To say nothing of the fact that the hot rice bag relieves pain in joints and to injuries, it also promotes healing by increasing blood flow. And better sleep patterns.
I want the water bottle(s). Are the sustainably produced or friendly for our bodies, our children and of course Mother Earth?
Post a Comment