Shhhhh. This is a secret to be kept from the Seattle School District:
This morning Annalise was pretending she was sick.
"You don't have to be sick to stay home. Every once in a while it is okay for you to tell me that you want to stay home just because."
"Really?! So (cough, cough) do I really get to stay home?"
"Yes. And you don't have to fake cough."
"Yay!!!"
I told her later that grown-ups sometimes call in to work and talk to their boss and pretend to be sick. Then they get off the phone and take the day off. She thought that was hilarious.
I feel letting her have a few days off a year for "well days" will reduce "sick days" because it will help with stress.
So...good or bad mom?
For Annalise, I'm a good mom.
But don't tell anyone about this secret I'm posting on my blog for all to see....
5 comments:
I am totally for an un-sick day. When I was a professional, not a Mom, I guess is what I am trying to say, I was in the field of Human Resource. I was a Human Resource Manager for almost 9 years and a weird thing happened about 5 years ago. We changed our sick time and vacation time to Paid Time off. Which meant we could take a sick day for a non sick day. This is a trend in many companies, they are finding that taking a mental sick day can make their employees better employees. Stress affects everyone and everyone handles it differently. Most just need a day to relax and rejuvenate their minds; one that isn't a Saturday or Sunday. So keep up the good work. I think you are teaching your children how important our mental health is.
I wish my mom had your philosophy growing up- it would have saved me alot of dramatic fake coughing on my part. I agree- sometimes, you just need a day. Cameron's mom babysits Apollo once a week for me, and I am suppose to "do work" in that time period (that's what I tell myself). Sometimes, I get a pedicure or watch a good movie instead. It makes me a better mother to treat myself sometimes- and it keeps me sane. Kid's need breaks, too. School can be stressful.
CPS should be knocking on your door shortly....
Definitely a good mom. This is too funny.
You are one awesome mom! Go Kim! :) !!
By the way, I hope you are feeling better!
Post a Comment