Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tomatillo Haiku and Other Culinary Adventures

Trying something new
Tomatillos in the spring
-A tart disaster

That is my haiku for this experience. I peeled them, washed them, and broiled them on this pan.

They went in the blender, along with the jalapeno I also broiled, some cilantro, and some leftover water/broth from the chicken I simmered in garlic and onion. It made a watery salsa.
I then dipped corn tortillas (that I heated up individually in a hot pan) in the salsa, filled with the shredded chicken, some cilantro, some jack cheese and rolled into an enchilada.

Put those in a pan tightly, and covered with the remaining salsa. That went in to the oven for twenty or thirty minutes.

It was not delicious.

It was tart.

I didn't like the corn tortillas, either.

And I'm not just being critical of my cooking.

I threw away the recipe.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to throw in the towel on tomatillos in the future. I might check and see if there is a better method for choosing them. Also I talked to a friend who said that I need to cook them longer to take some of the tart out.

I do love cilantro.

Here it is, on my onion cutting board (yep, I have a board I use just for onions, and anything else that I don't mind mingling with that onion-y flavor):

Cilantro says "Spring" and "Summer" to me--that is, if it could talk.

When I purchased the tomatillos, I also purchased Coconut Milk to try with my Indian cuisine.

Let's hope this next experiment goes well.
Maybe I'll be writing a positive review haiku, to tell you about the experience.

5 comments:

The Woody's Fam said...

You must have gotten bad tomatillos. We have grown them in our garden the last 5 years. They are supposed to be very mild to the taste, in fact whenever I tried them straight from the garden they tasted almost like nothing. Don't give up on them yet, the are divine in salsa. Good luck in the future. Maybe it was just the recipe. I like to blend one or two and add them to ranch dressing, it makes a really good (fattening) tex-mex salad dressing.

The Woody's Fam said...

PS. Chloie was looking for you on Facebook. I directed her to your blog. Hope you don't mind.

The Woody's Fam said...

PSS. I need to read and re-read before I post. I have never cooked tomatillos maybe that is why they got tart. I use them like a second kind of tomato in our salsa. Try cutting one and eating it raw, when they are fresh from the garden they are so mild, bland.

Lefty said...

Laurie: thank you for directing Chloie to the blog. AWh, Chloie is on facebook? That tempts me to join back, if she were to be on it frequently--if she were better at facebook-ing than email.
She is moving to Louisianna at the end of this month and I am very sad about it. I told her about my blog and so that is great that you directed her here. Thanks.
Thank you, also, for your advice on tomatillos.

Dan said...

I have not had success w/ tomatillos either. I gave up and just purchase the tomatillo salsa from Trader Joes.