Friday, June 19, 2009

Infants Reading

Hey Parents!!

Do you have something to prove to your friends? Do you want to one-up them on the my-child-is-smart venue?

Do you get bored just cuddling and loving that babe of yours?

Do you want to flash cards in front of your baby's face constantly until they earn your praise?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then check out our website:

http://www.yourbabycanread.com/

I will spare you my rant because it will last forever and you know it! (Remember the kindergarten graduation post that took forever to read, if you did, in fact, read it? Yes, let's not repeat that.)

3 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

Hahaa! I have been fascinated/slightly disturbed by this commercial. Part of me wants to try it, part of me doesn't want to be one of those parents. Whatever happened to reading to your kids to teach them to read? That seems more fun and easier.

54 canoe said...

Funny you mention this cause it's a topic Chele and I are deeply divided over. Chele wants to teach our kids to read...something about it expanding their worlds and opening a lot of doors in their immediate and distant futures. I on the other hand think reading is for dorks, nerds and total squares. I learned to read and all I do is change diapers and chaufer kids to parks and playdates.

I ask you this APLH... who is correct?

Lefty said...

Ah, 54 Canoe. We meet again.

Don't get me wrong: I think reading is wonderful. I LOVE reading. My kindergartner is reading and that is important to me. But age-appropriate -no, better yet, ready-appropriate.

I was working out next to a lady at the gym several months back, who was an English teacher. She thought kindergartners were too young to be forced to learn to read because their eyes weren't fully developed and it strained them.

I don't know about that, but I do think when they express a desire to learn to read, or an interest to know the alphabet, then you meet that need as a parent. I just don't know any one-year olds hinting at that desire.

Two-year old prodigies (the word that makes some parents to force this baby-reading--so they can tell their friends their child is a prodigy), and three-year olds maybe. But not babies. The two- and three-year olds that want this are rare, but they will naturally pick it up on their own, with a little help. Not flash cards at 11 months; Good Grief!