Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Meltdown on Aisle Four Years Old

Two children. Parenting for six and a half years now. Today is the first day I've ever dealt with a public meltdown. (Some of you are rolling your eyes in jealousy right now, huh? Don't worry, I got mine today.)

The girls were fighting over which book to choose at Target so I told them (after reminding them to "negotiate" and "be nice" and "work together" too many times) that I was going to pick the book.

Well! That was not cool of me, I know this. I should have not been so tight with the wallet and let them choose their own books. But $15 a book? That just seemed a lot for a splurge that isn't their birthday. We're trying to save for a house. We need to do the library more often; I hear their books are free if you return them on time.

Back to the story:

Madeline let out a scream. You know the scream: legs together, arms straight down at sides, hands clenched in fury, shoulders push down and chest puffed out while an ear piercing scream ejects out of a usually cute face. The sheer volume of that pitch blurred all other senses. I picked up Madeline to try and reason with her but it did nothing.

So I put her in the cart, and we pushed our way to the front of the store. And yes: she was still screaming. Loud. It didn't stop.

We got to the front. I took her out of the cart and by the hand and we walked out. And yes: screaming all the way.

She quieted down momentarily out the door and I explained to her that her screaming was unacceptable and inappropriate for the store and that we had to leave.

Her screaming broke down temporarily into loud sobs in the elevator and to the car.

My mixed emotions broke into pity when she cried, "This is the worsest day ever!"

I helped her into the car and my pity for her shattered as she took all the rage she felt and screamed, once again, directly at me while I was getting her seat belt on. I shut the door and was amazed that the fury she felt was back on again.

I ignored her as we circled out of the parking lot. At this point she was realizing we weren't going back inside and that it was because of her screaming. The screaming eventually softened when the car hit the street and we drove home.

When she quieted down I told her that we all have bad days. I told her that it was unacceptable for her to scream like that in the store and that if we can't find nicer ways to express our feelings then we can't be in the store.

By the time we got home she was okay. I got her some chocolate milk to drink in a sippy. Oh, didn't you know this is a cure-all? Yes, if a child is tired and hungry --which is often what triggers these meltdowns-- a delicious and nutritious drink is easy to swallow and fills the belly enough to calm down. After the chocolaty goodness and a few strawberries, we planted thyme and tarragon in the herb pot, a clematis in the corner of the yard, and scattered various flower seeds in the beds of the front yard. All was forgotten and she was cheerful.

Madeline recovers quickly.

And where was Annalise while all this occurred? She was my grown-up kindergartner: composed and patient, quiet during the screaming, and consoling in the car to Madeline when it was time for some nurturing.

What book was I going to choose for them? Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. Seems appropriate for this parental anecdote.

7 comments:

Shumway's said...

Oh the tantrums. Yep, I hate you that this is the only time it has occurred. My trick is that I offer a pack of gum as we walk in and I take it away if Jacob gets out of control. Yep, I give Jakie something they want and then you know what to say you will take away if they act out. It saves me having to buy lots of stuff and I can always aford the gum. Cuddos on your mommy triumph. Keep it up and the kids realize that tantrums wont work. I sure knew that with my mom. She had one look and that was all it took. She would leave a full cart in the aisle and tan our hides in the car if we did any nonsence in the aisles. We were monsters though, so I did not mind.

Dan said...

Target between 7am-10am on a Saturday is a healthy dose of birth control for any adult. I've seen so many melt down in that time frame, that made me chuckle, much to the dismay of frustrated parents I'm sure.

Lefty said...

Dan: No, I don't think your chuckling would irritate other parents. That is what I usually do when a child is in uproar (happy that I don't have to deal with it). And when Maddie was having her tantrum, I was chuckling a little bit, too, especially when Madeline said, "This is the worsest day ever!" I was trying to hide my smiles from Maddie, though.

Carrot Jello said...

The only thing I can think of is:
Your Target has an elevator?

carol said...

You are such a great grown-up Mommy! Congratulations on following through (and not having a secondary tantrum!)--that takes self-control, at least for me.

Holly said...

I can't stop laughing! We went to target after I read this and I had to laugh again, I kept imagining this happening all over again.

jennycooks said...

I distinctly remember the first time I realized I was "that mom" that couldn't control "those kids". And yes, I am TOTALY jealous this is the first time this has happened to you! You lucky girl! You seemed to have handled it beautifully. I haven't handled it so beautifully in the past... I have now embraced the circus that I am with my kids and try to ignore the many appauling looks that regularly come my way, we are all trying our best after all. Way to go.