Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Got A Mandolin

This:


Not This:


It has been on my "wish list" for years. Well, five years, to be exact. But that is more than one year, making it years. I say this because when people say "for years" I always assume a number at least in the twenties range. I didn't want you thinking that I've been wanting a mandolin for twenty years. I think I was just baking cookies twenty years ago. I didn't know how to cook yet. Unless you count already made, heavily processed, and ready-to-heat canned food (gross); or top ramen noodles (these are delicious and I assume they cause cancer, if not just obesity).

So last week Geoff gave me one (the model shown, by Good Grips OXO, available at your nearest fine kitchen gadget/appliance retailer) for my birthday.

We're going to buy a lot of produce today so I can try it out.

Crudites, anyone?


I think next year I'll ask for a mandolin. The other kind.

3 comments:

thechristensens said...

Do you love it?? I've been contemplating one as well...but I'm afraid it will end up like all of my other kitchen things...in the cupboard, untouched! Gottchalks is going out of business here in CA, and they have a KitchenAid one for way cheap. I'm thinking I'll do it, if you love it...post about it. And include pictures. Be my salesperson!

Holly said...

I feel scalloped potatoes coming on! Dan makes an excellent potato/zucchini version which is a nice way to sneak in your zucchini if you are not a fan.

carol said...

Mother says: Don't slice fingers off, or parts of them! Can't wait to be invited to your house to taste sliced anything!