Monday, February 23, 2009

Pronoun Clarifications

I just read a fun article on the use of pronouns and the never ending battle of finding the correct path with them. Click here to read it. Oh and I probably should preface this by saying that I'm a nerd and my husband says I'm quite finicky, to which I agree with no shame.

Do you want to see my eyes roll and my shoulders squirm in annoyance? If you sit with me at church you will probably get your chance at some point. Somebody will quote a scripture with the word he or brethren in it, and will make the side comment, "and this includes sisters, as well...", before going on to the quote. That is when it happens: my eyes roll and there's a subtle quiver in my shoulder region, but not quite enough for a shimmy shake.

Well of course it includes sisters!!

Often it is a very well meaning man, afraid that the women might feel left out, or worse, might not get that the scripture or quote is directed at the general population and not to men specifically.

Well of course we get it!

It surprises me a little more when women make this clarification.

I know, I'm a finicky nerd.

1 comment:

carol said...

Obviously you're not too nerdy when you do a blog on juicy fannies!