Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Life is Hard for a Know-It-All

You shouldn't eavesdrop, it's rude.

Also, when you're at the gym and talking to somebody, don't say anything that can't/shouldn't be public knowledge...especially if I'm near. It's hard for me to tune others out. I try, believe me. I don't mean to be nosy, really I don't.

I'm social. I like people watching. Lately I've noticed, and I shouldn't admit this, but I don't mind people listening, either.

I need and want my Ipod back! I can go into my own world where Bono, Neil Diamond, Johnny Cash and Rivers Cuomo (do you think that is his given birth name?) sing to me while I sweat and pant; and Billie, Ella and that lady from Enya sooth me while I stretch and do abs. And I mind my business!

More importantly (because I'm not actually posting this to complain about my rude behavior), I don't have to listen to ignorant people.

The problem is I'm a know-it-all. I don't actually know-it-all, I know that much. But I know enough that when I hear somebody say something inaccurate, it unnerves me. For instance, when I get erroneous emails: I assume it's erroneous and confirm with snopes.com. Then I email the link back to the sender, or if it is something that will spread like wildfire or be damaging, occasionally "reply to all". This annoying personality trait of mine bugs Geoff. Geoff is peaceful; I'm a brat. When he knows I'm sending an email back, he sometimes tries to convince me to let it go. I can't. I can't let false information spread, wasting the time of other people. I consider it a public service. And I know I'm difficult, I know. (But to make it up to you, I will sing to you, or bake you a cheesecake or something...)

So what led me to admit to some of my worst attributes on this public blog? The ignorant man (note: not gentleman!) talking very loudly to two other fellows near me at the gym. He was discussing reproduction with these men, and how the more testosterone a man has the more likely he will have sons. Then he went on to say that women have female eggs (because they come from her...), and men have male sperm (because they come from him...). Oh, and to create a son, a man has to be strong and aggressive with the woman. Yes, he's an ignorant punk.

There is just no point in attempting to educate this type of person. They know they are right; and therefor, will always be wrong. (And of course I would never go up to a stranger, tell him I was eaves dropping, and then let him know they were wrong. A little part of me wants to, but I'd NEVER do it.)

So I'm just venting right now. I think I will set up my Ipod today so that I can have it tomorrow. Bono never says anything ignorant. Neal Diamond just wants to stay in Blue Jeans...Forever. Johnny Cash...well, I swear he knows how I'm feeling. Rivers, boy that poor guy has a tough life what with his alcoholic friend and destroyed sweater, but at least he has his Island in the Sun. They may not understand genetics, and that is okay, because they don't teach others about it.

In lighter news: I have to get off the computer because Madeline has just decided that she is throwing a party for Chewbacca, her newest imaginary friend. It's his birthday and we're going to have a pinata in the living room. She's setting it up right now. Gotta go!

5 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

I, like you, find myself eavesdropping on peoples' conversations from time to time. My favorite place is the bus- it's almost always entertaining.

I laughed out loud when I read about how we women have "female eggs." It's the same kind of ignorance that drove many a king to execute his wife for not bearing a son- if only they had known back then what they know now...

Shawn and Megan Atwood said...

I can't believe that guy! Glad you vented because I loved this post! BTW I am a Neil Diamond lover, not a hater:) "What about Bob" says that there are only 2 people in the world, those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't...I grew up listening to him, and love him!

Kinley said...

What an idiot! I think I would have said something, or at least cast a very condescending look noticably in his direction! Seriously- WOW! Let's just hope he doesn't reproduce! But I agree with Megan for two reasons- Neil Diamond is an iconic legend and "What About Bob" is an awesome movie!

carol said...

Is Madeline's friend Chewbacca friends with the guy at the gym? Oh, sorry--Chewbacca is much smarter than the gym guy,I shouldn't have cast aspersions on Chewy, our favorite hairy alien guy. How did the pinanta-making and breaking go??

carol said...

p.s. You are very funny, Kim. So is Madeline but she doesn't know it yet. Maybe she'll become a clever, entertaining writer like you some day. :)