Other words: Talipia, Mahi Mahi, Snapper, Salmon, Flounder, Escargot, Shrimp, Crab, Lobster (really good lobster), Steak, Lamb (cooked in an incredible red wine sauce), and Chicken. I only ordered chicken once since this is a common staple at home, and I went on vacation to try new things. Those aren't the only words. There are others: vanilla bean souffle, cinnamon chocolate cake with a layer of caramel on top, coconut rice pudding, flan, fruit tart, chocolate peanut butter pie, cookies and ice cream.
You want to read a whole phrase? This is the beauty: I didn't gain any weight!
I'm not sure how this happened. Was it muscle atrophy and I just lost as much weight in muscle mass as I gained in adipose tissue? To our credit, we did go to the gym three times and opted to take the stairs (eight main floors) instead of the elevators, most of the time. Also there was a lot of walking from our room (at the front of the ship) to the middle and back of the ship where the music and restaurants were. Another point to take into consideration is that I didn't clean my plate at any of the meals, and often didn't finish my desserts. I appreciated the presentation, and savored the smells, flavors and textures.
To make this post more interesting, I have pictures. My brother went to Denmark about a year ago and took pictures of everything he ate. I quite enjoyed his culinary snapshots, finding it amusing that he took the pictures in the first place, but then also being able to see the plate presentations.
I didn't take pictures of everything I ate. Most of the time, I was so wanting to taste what was before me I forgot to take the picture until I was a few bites into the meal. Half the time we forgot the camera. But I did manage to get some pictures taken.
Now let us begin:
When we first boarded the ship, it was lunchtime. There were two choices: the buffet (which was overwhelmed with many patrons by the time we arrived, with very few places to sit) or one of the traditional restaurants. We chose the latter and were rewarded.
Here is a picture from where we sat:
For our first meal, I ordered Talipia. It was a little on the salty side, but it was very good.
I can't remember exactly what Geoff ordered. I think this was a beef dish; I do remember it was cold and that surprised both of us. During each meal, Geoff and I kept tabs on who ordered the best dish. He won this round. It was refreshing and full of flavor and textures that pleased.
Here is a picture of flounder that I ordered one night. Loved it. And of course I love asparagus. And technology.
This is a dish Geoff ordered. I think it was an appetizer to one of his meals. It was duck. I can't remember it well enough to make any other remarks about it. It's pretty, though.
For an appetizer, Geoff ordered this Tostada Salad.
For my appetizer, I ordered this black bean soup. It was so good I've been to the store already for black beans and have found a recipe I am going to try in the near future.
I ordered fajitas for my meal at the restaurant. They were good. Not exceptional, but good.
Geoff ordered lobster tacos for his meal. He liked the lobster filling (because there was a whole lot of lobster) but not the shell.
We didn't take a picture of it, but one night Geoff ordered lobster. To preface, Geoff and I both have always felt that lobster is overrated. He took a chance and ordered it (keep in mind all of our meals, except the Mexican restaurant were inclusive in the price we paid for the cruise) and was delighted. He said it was one of the best meals he's had in his life. The waitress came and asked how our meal was, he told her how pleased he was and she offered him another plate of lobster. He didn't refuse.
So I say we went to only one restaurant that we paid for, but I should also state that we went there twice.
My favorite meal was the lamb cooked in a red wine sauce. When it was laid before me, the steam circled up before my eyes and the aroma was heavenly. A good omen for the week ahead. The only thing sad about the meal was that my hunger was satiated before the meal was finished. I wanted to continue eating, but knew my stomach would resent me if I did.
The second night, I tasted a flan. I've only ever had flan one other time in my life and didn't like it. Therefore I never tried it again; until last week. I liked it. Not sure why the mint on it...I don't think it had mint in the custard. It's just a little weird to me when people use garnishes that have nothing to do with the dish they are garnishing.
Geoff and I ordered nachos for an appetizer one night since it is one of our favorites.
My favorite meal was the lamb cooked in a red wine sauce. When it was laid before me, the steam circled up before my eyes and the aroma was heavenly. A good omen for the week ahead. The only thing sad about the meal was that my hunger was satiated before the meal was finished. I wanted to continue eating, but knew my stomach would resent me if I did.
At the Mexican restaurant, I tried a cinnamon chocolate cake topped with some kind of caramel.
8 comments:
Shawn and I have been addicted to TLOTR lately we watch it after the kids go to bed, we have all 3 extended versions. Also, you just made me really hungry for food I don't have to cook.....my mouth is still watering. I wish there was such a thing as virtual pigging out! Glad you had a marvelous trip!
Ok, I totally regret reading this post on an empty stomach. For my sake, if you post a yummy post again will you put a disclaimer in with something stating to eat before reading. I am hungry now and I have a pretty good feeling nothing I make will help; thanks, way to go Kim.J/K. I am totally sold on the whole cruise idea. I am glad you had fun.
PS. I need to pre-read any other comments before posting. I totally should like I can't think for myself since your other post pretty much says the same thing I did.
Lamp in red wine sauce? No thank you dear. (Your typo, not mine.)
Thanks, 32: that would be very confusing...she ate a lamp? and she liked it? a lot?
I posted in haste without reading through carefully. Every once in a while I'll read through my posts to edit and find little things like that. good times.
Laurie: what about pre-reading? I don't understand.
Mmmmm... I am hungry now. You are totally selling the cruise idea to me. It is becoming more of a possibility one day...
Yummy! Sounds like you guys had an excellent time.
I must find the next cruise ship and hop on it.
I think I gained a few ounds just looking at the pictures. Drool.
Post a Comment