Friday, May 8, 2009

Crazy, I Am

Tomorrow is Madeline's Star Wars Crazy Birthday Party. She'll be four next Wednesday, on the 13th. A few of her little friends are coming to celebrate with her tomorrow and it should be very fun.

Never in my dreams as a mother did I ever imagine I'd be fixing up a Star Wars themed party for my little girl.
For her first birthday, I did a "Creepy Crawly" theme with ladybugs and butterflies:
This cake was a pain! Well, the head, mostly. I didn't have supplies to make the black icing, so I purchased it in a tube. It wasn't easy to work with, but it turned out okay.
I loved looking for the candy in the bulk section for this cake. I like the way the black "raspberries" turned out.

I did cupcakes, too: topping them with "butterflies" made out of gummy worms and jelly wedges.
And then we just clustered some worms all by them selves on top of the cupcakes.








For 2007 and 2008 I was a horrible mother: I didn't take pictures! Or at least, I can't find them on my computer and my memory is deficient. But I do know this: it was probably something girly!
For Annalise's birthdays I've done princess castles, ballet slippers and butterflies. Perhaps I'll post those someday.

My mother and I were talking a few months back, planning this upcoming bash and scheming up a tea party or enchanted garden party. It would have been so whimsical (love that word) and charming.

But my little Madeline, as you know (if you don't, then you haven't read this blog much), is Star Wars Crazy.

I recreated, to the best of my amateur abilities, Luke's home on Tatooine.

with this:


I couldn't get the cake to a dome very well with the bowl I used. I baked a smaller bowl and then joined the two with lots of frosting. In the warmth of the room, it is drooping a little; but a little help from a spatula will make it better. I frosted the foil wrapped pan and spread down a layer of brown sugar "sand" for the planet's well known abundant supply of the material.

In this scene, C3PO is being self righteous, R2D2 is thinking about getting into some mischief, and Luke...well, he is whining, of course.

(I won't go into the actual morbid scene this cake is being adapted to.)

And what about this guy? (This scene of Hoth started out the movie, Empire Strikes Back, so that the film could explain Mark Hamill's (who plays Luke Skywalker) scars from a car accident. He needed a reason for his face to be messed up a little, so the writers adapted with this scene of the Wampa in Hoth...or so I've been told.)

I needed a pinata. I figured the Hoth Wampa would do fine:


6 comments:

carol said...

Too cool! I think Madeline was on to something special, with her Star Wars Craziness, and the cake and pinata prove it! What a neat mommy you are! Have fun tomorrow!

The Woody's Fam said...

I love it! And I love that your "daughter" Madeline is obsessed with Star Wars! What a cool Mom you are to give her what she wants. I think I may have pushed the enchanted garden party myself! Good luck tomorrow.

jennycooks said...

You are such a good mom - I know it can be tempting to sway them towards our own ideas sometimes - way to let her be herself. This turned out so, so cute. Great job baking and creating a party that is totally "Madeline" in every way. She will be thrilled I am sure!

thechristensens said...

Very fun and very cute! Good job! Noah is bummed out that he doesn't get to go to Maddie's Star Wars party.


Speaking of Star Wars, did you know that Jedi Day was on the 4th?? Yeah, I found out last night that May 4th is Jedi Day because, May the 4th (or the force) be with you. Cheesy, but very clever... I didn't know if you knew about such a day, so I thought I'd share!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am very impressed with your cake decorating skills! I hope the party was a blast :) !!

frankman said...

Alright-James is speechless. He thinks Madeline and her mommy are very impressive. He too loves Star Wars and wonders what time he should arrive for the party????